Iran captures RN sailors... 23 March 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please remember everyone has ROE the guys in the boat and the commander of the ship. All we can do now is wait and hope.

It does appear that everyone on our side behaved impeccably and as training.

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
letthecatoutofthebag said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6480000/newsid_6484800?redirect=6484813.stm&news=1&bbwm=1&nbwm=1&bbram=1&nbram=1

See above for a short interview with Cdre Nick Lambert, embarked in Cornwall as CTF 158. (Just one question, why is he wearing dessie combats on a ship?)
If you knew Nick Lambert you wouldn't ask that question...

As CTF 158 he is based in Bahrain - its quite common for shore based staffs to wear their shore rig on visits to ships.

silverfox]If you knew Nick Lambert you wouldn't ask that question... [/quote] Tell us more...? [quote="silverfox said:
As CTF 158 he is based in Bahrain - its quite common for shore based staffs to wear their shore rig on visits to ships.
That makes more sense - I had assumed CTF 158 was embarked at sea rather than just visiting.

Captured in Iraqi waters, which the Americans have confirmed by GPS tracking.

In an enitrely theoretical situation, if you there, and talking as Civilians, not commenting at all on current UK policy (disclaimer due to Percy's note above!) what would you do, knowing you are in Iraqi Waters would you stand and fight or do as these Sailors and Marines did.

All entirely theoretical, and not based on Military Doctrine, your own gut feeling!

Potential_Officer said:
Captured in Iraqi waters, which the Americans have confirmed by GPS tracking.

In an enitrely theoretical situation, if you there, and talking as Civilians, not commenting at all on current UK policy (disclaimer due to Percy's note above!) what would you do, knowing you are in Iraqi Waters would you stand and fight or do as these Sailors and Marines did.

All entirely theoretical, and not based on Military Doctrine, your own gut feeling!
If their guns / boats are bigger than yours, the only choice is live to kick ass another day

Potential_Officer said:
You do realise just how daft a question that is?

Given that gut feel is pretty heavily influenced by experience?

a few mates of mine on there --- and i only pray its not one of them...........
tried phoning thru.... but very busy..............
i send my prayers and heartfelt sympathies to the families..................

If you were a civilian you would not have ROE and so would do whatever you thought you could get away with. As the military we have our ROE to ensure that we do not cause an escalation that would be inconsistent with the intentions of our democratically elected government.

If we go to war with Iran it should be as a result of a determination by our government that that is in our collective interest. The fact that the Irans do not have our scruples on the matter does not make our procedures wrong.

Perhaps we should all consider that when we next decide to bemoan our involvement in Telic or Herrick.

As I said before all we can do now is hope and wait. I am sure I am not alone in being nervous and at the same time mad as all hell that our guys have been taken. My thoughts most definitely will be with the men, their families and their shipmates until they are freed.

i agree with ukdaytona where was the helo???
or is it another case of a young officer being left on the bridge in charge! In my last time down the gulf (number 1) we had to provide cover for boarding parties on every occasion armed to the teeth.
My reckoning it will be a week before we hear a response as it Irans public holiday (new year, remembered from me Ganges days lol)
Any ways heres hoping the boys come back safe and sound soon

wet_blobby

War Hero
P_O, karma was trying to help you mate, not have a pop at you.

as I stated earlier I reckon this is more about retribution than anything, hopefully after embarrissing HM Gov all will be returned safe and well.

Gentlemen

My apologies, but after further consideration , and in view of which branch of the Iranian Forces allegedly has our people at the moment, I am closing or deleting all threads regarding this morning's incident , save any threads purely concentrating on best wishes and God speed for a return of the detainees.

In my view, there now exists a real danger that speculation and reported remarks influenced by genuine anger will be to the detriment of the safety of our people and OPSEC.

Please do not open new threads seeking to speculate on this incident.

Remarks made here, could very easily end up elsewhere, to the detriment of all concerned.

Thanks

PTP

Further to my post above, this request has appeared on the MoD website.

We are urgently pursuing this matter with the Iranian authorities at the highest level and on the instructions of the Foreign Secretary, the Iranian ambassador has been summoned to the Foreign Office.

The British Government is demanding the immediate and safe return of our people and equipment.

Any speculation about what might happen or the way our people may be treated could be genuinely dangerous, and the MOD urges media to refrain from such speculation whilst the Government conducts its urgent discussions with the Iranian authorities.

Next-of-kin of all personnel seized have now been informed.

In the interests of protecting their anonymity at this difficult stage, we would ask all editors to refrain from publishing or broadcasting anything that could lead to even partial identification of any of the individuals involved.

The MOD has activated a helpline for concerned families. The number is 08457 800 900.
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...rnOf15BritishPersonnelSeizedByIranianNavy.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads