Ipad/Tablet?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Looking for advice on the best reasonably priced Tablet or Ipad to buy for Mrs janner. She is to computers what Sumo is to spelling so it needs to be easy to use with a reasonable seized screen.

I’m fairly recent Apple convert and just completed the full house with an iMac to go with phone and iPad. I’m sure I’ll get shot down here but for me they just work really we’ll. So I would recommend the iPad -BUT - only buy what you need rather than the latest issue. You can get one with the 10” screen and 32gb WiFi only for £350 and the 64gb - if Mrs J likes to load loads of family photos and videos - for about £450. If you’ve got the iPhone then it will sync seamlessly for photos and music with the iPad. And they’re pretty secure - more so than Android Tablets in my opinion - but not 100% bullet proof.
anyway that’s my twopennorth - I’m off to put my anti-flash and tin hat on

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I hate all Apple products.

I have just been to our local supermarket funnily enough, and they were doing 10 inch tablets for 69 euros. Now I've had one of these before and they do what it says on the box - and no more!

Failing that - a Chromebook. I also have one of these and (used with a mouse) it is brilliant! Again, does what it says on the box but a LOT more besides - and no virus worries. I have 128Gig card for storage.

fishhead

War Hero
What @LifebuoyGhost says is correct but I think if MrsJ is unused to tablets a cheaper android may be better for starters. I see Argos have them new for under £100 . If an iPad appeals they can be bought cheaper second hand and because people like to upgrade to the latest model there are plenty of good one to be had.

Waspie

War Hero
Looking for advice on the best reasonably priced Tablet or Ipad to buy for Mrs janner. She is to computers what Sumo is to spelling so it needs to be easy to use with a reasonable seized screen.
SWMBO is exactly the same. I have the works, iMac, 2 x MBP's, iPad, and iPhone. They just work. Bought SWMBO a iPad Air, new one, (this years). She gets about and she really is a technophobe. A 64Gb iPad Air - that'll do the bizz!!

soleil

War Hero
What will she use it for, Janner?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
She's got a laptop, just doesn't get on with it, it will need to be something fairly simple mainly because she has no interest in computing of any sort. I concentrated her mind today by asking her how she will access the bank accounts if I die first. I'm waiting for the answer. ;) We met up with my Sister today and Mrs j had a look at her Samsung tablet and seemed impressed. Now I'm just looking for something thats simple to use and in a one lump package, no separate keyboard or mouse. Don't believe anyone that tells you it's relaxing being retired. :cool:

Waspie

War Hero
She's got a laptop, just doesn't get on with it, it will need to be something fairly simple mainly because she has no interest in computing of any sort. I concentrated her mind today by asking her how she will access the bank accounts if I die first. I'm waiting for the answer. ;) We met up with my Sister today and Mrs j had a look at her Samsung tablet and seemed impressed. Now I'm just looking for something thats simple to use and in a one lump package, no separate keyboard or mouse. Don't believe anyone that tells you it's relaxing being retired. :cool:
@janner The iPad Air has a more powerful processor than the iPad Pro at the moment. My wifey loves hers. Kinda reads emails but mostly shopping, much to my regret!!!!
My son has used Kindles and Samsung tablets. He saw wifeys iPad bought one and can't stop praising it. If you can afford the iPad you- she won't be disappointed.

Chris P

Lantern Swinger
Bought my wife an I pad after she had a stroke and the laptop was too much for her - she's no tech and a ludite to quote her own words, she gets on with it ok, but some of the functions are difficult for her due to the stroke damage and memory. Can't remember which ipad, but I'll stick with my trusty desktop and windows than you very much although it operates much the same as my iphone - it still pisses me off though.

She might find a stylus to use with it will help with the screen work..

Sumo

War Hero
What! you saying I carn't smell

Sumo

War Hero
I think for all apple products you are paying a fair chuck for their name, Mrs S favours Iphones, only because she is used to the controls?

I look at what it is to be used for, and right your own little spec.
If photos are a key thing memory storage and operating speed should be considered.
Look at what email she currently uses and find one compatible with that, Mrs S hates to have to use different email systems?
Along with the op spec, you say size matters, with size look at battery life.

Or just go into a shop and say I want X, Y, Z and pay the price.

Stirlin

War Hero
Bought my wife an I pad after she had a stroke and the laptop was too much for her - she's no tech and a ludite to quote her own words, she gets on with it ok, but some of the functions are difficult for her due to the stroke damage and memory. Can't remember which ipad, but I'll stick with my trusty desktop and windows than you very much although it operates much the same as my iphone - it still pisses me off though.

She might find a stylus to use with it will help with the screen work..
Yes the Samsung has a stylus , I use it all the time playing the many versions of Solitaire.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the advice folks, went for this in the end..

just so you can appreciate the problems I had, She didn't like the idea of refurbished (you don't know whose had it and it might have marks) this is obviously more important than operating efficiency, so, before I totally lost the will to live I went for the Samsung. Price for a new one is far more attractive especially the use it will be put to.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I've got a small Samsung tablet that I take as my 'holiday' PC etc - been very happy with it. Games on the plane, email when we get wherever we're going. I use a rubber tipped stylus thing with it - if I remember, otherwise just a phat phinger.