Introduction: RN Submariner - Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme (UGAS)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Again, excellent answer. I really appreciate what you do around here.

My thoughts regarding the change at officer came from how it seems you can transfer from GS to Submarines but not the other way around and so, if one wanted to try GS too, the officer stage would be the time (and perhaps only time) to do it I thought.

I'm a little surprised that it's not mentioned anywhere that you either get or could apply for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status and/or progress to Chartered Engineer status (CEng), as mentioned for some other roles. No worries.

The whole scheme is just incredibly exciting and I'm thinking of grabbing it with both hands. Thanks again!
No worries.

I agree it's a fantastic scheme that seems almost too good to be true...but it is true. I've yet to come across civilian companies (or the Army or RAF) coming close to it.

After you complete your first contract, you can apply to switch to GS, as indeed can most submariners after completing the 5 years Return of Service (RoS).

What many people don't realise is that even if you join as a general service rating or officer, with the exception of Fleet Air Arm, you can be assigned/drafted/appointed to submarines, regardless. I don't think it has happened in recent years but it was certainly happening to most branches as classes neared the end of phase two (branch) training when I joined (early 1980s). IEng & CEng is certainly up for grabs, but not everyone goes for it, so it's an option rather than a designated career path and the career path is pretty detailed & convoluted without mentioning the "add-ons" at the point of entry.

Best of luck.

Roneyj05

Midshipman
think I’ve just found a link within the thread I had the other day. It seems there are two different returns of service during the training timeline. One of 24 months and a one later at 36 months. None once the dregree is complete. As a result, I think the accelerated apprentice route may be better. Wouldn’t fancy being committed if you don’t know if you will like it. Returns of service are fully expected for obvious reasons.

perrym

Midshipman
Just to clarify there is no post uni return of service, however you must complete 3 years as a qualified POET in a sea going position prior to commencing Uni.

The 24 mth RoS you have read about are standard training RoS post LET & POET courses.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hunter1692 Self Introduction RFA 4
MoD_RSS Introduction of knife crime prevention orders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary Introduction to Queen’s Speech Debate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS E-seminar: An introduction to DNA melting curve analysis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS E-seminar: An introduction to using service providers for NGS analysis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS E- seminar: An introduction to designing quantitative PCR assays MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plastic bag sales down 90% since introduction of 5p charge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: One month to go before introduction of Making Tax Digital for VAT MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Parole Board welcomes findings from MoJ review, including the introduction of a reconsideration mechanism MoD News 0
vauxhall Introduction of Charlotte's Law Finance & Pensions 0
V Introduction Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS News story: Webinar: introduction to the Centre for Defence Enterprise, May 2016 MoD News 0
S Date of introduction of wooly pullys and no.8s? History 94
Abnavydavey1 An introduction... Submariners 16
Ninja_Stoker Direct Entry Petty Officer Marine Engineer Technicians - Introduction Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 394
MoD_RSS News story: Webinar: introduction to the Centre for Defence Enterprise May 2015 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Webinar: introduction to the Centre for Defence Enterprise MoD News 0
J Introduction Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
HMS_Troutbridge R.N.X.S and Introduction History 14
OMM Introduction/ Interview guidance for WE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
C Introduction... Social & Reunions 2
O Introduction Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
O Re-introduction of SETT? Submariners 5
M Just an Introduction Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
J Introduction Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Introduction... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
shellbackmac Introduction of Dolphins in the early '70s Submariners 32
K Introduction of a hopeful The Corps 12
mad_muppet Introduction of JPA Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
B Introduction of the RT for Officer Candidates Current Affairs 10
C Weapons engineer Officer application (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: RNRMC - Happy 100th Birthday Harry Melling - Britain's Oldest WW2 Submariner Submariners 2
H Basic training rent, submariner rent in faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil LadBible: "Former Navy Submariner Shares Coping Strategies For Self-Isolation And Social Distancing" Submariners 3
L Advice on whether or not to join as a submariner Joining the Royal Navy 14
soleil NWE Mail: "Submariner Memorial Appeal - Competition To Celebrate The RN To Be Launched By BAE In Barrow" Submariners 2
soleil i News: "'You’re Only Ever 15 minutes Away From Launching A Missile': What It Was Like To Be A Cold War Submariner" Submariners 13
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
soleil Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months" Submariners 17
J Weapons Engineering Officer (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 2
I MA - GS OR Submariner ?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
B Latest Warfare Officer (Submariner) Pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Advice on being a submariner (aiming for bombers) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
S NSMBOS / EMPLOYABILITY Submariner Health & Fitness 2
C Submariner Wet and Dry Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
R Submariner medical assistant training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P Submariner time at sea Submariners 8
Ninja_Stoker ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS - 2018 UPDATE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
P Submariner Nuclear Retention Pay Submariners 16
G warfare submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2