Introduction: RN Submariner - Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme (UGAS)

dwade98

Midshipman
Ahh that's great! I went to my local AFCO the day after I got my results and they briefly mentioned about when I should apply but I was left a bit confused. I'll be sure to go down when I get my predicted grades and ask about applying. Best of luck with NUGAS!

jsdoddy

Good morning, I have a couple of questions, how long is the phase 2 training in the submarine service? And what are the working hours like when not at sea, for instance is it possible to live and travel to Glasgow on weekends/weeknights after completion of Phase 2, for family related reasons

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Good morning, I have a couple of questions, how long is the phase 2 training in the submarine service? And what are the working hours like when not at sea, for instance is it possible to live and travel to Glasgow on weekends/weeknights after completion of Phase 2, for family related reasons
ET(MESM) phase two technical training at HMS Sultan is around 30 weeks as I understand it, but then there's the Wet & Dry Submarine Qualifying course, in addition (Wet=Sea training, Dry = Shore training). Wet & Dry depends on availability of courses and billets on boats. Dry training is at the Submarine School (currently Raleigh, but maybe moving North) is between 3-4 months, Wet training, depends on how switched-on the individual is - I'd budget for three to six months for NUGAS. 12 months if completely bone :)

Working hours at HMS Sultan is, I believe 08:00-16:00 mon-fri. If you are based in Faslane and "inboard", ie; not on patrol, you can commute home tae Glasgae usually at least three nights out of every four, same ratio of weekends.

jsdoddy

So is it true that over the course of the 10 weeks initial training, 30 weeks Phase 2 training and then the wet and dry qualifying course, it will not be possible to commute to and from home. So you have to be on base at
all times?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
So is it true that over the course of the 10 weeks initial training, 30 weeks Phase 2 training and then the wet and dry qualifying course, it will not be possible to commute to and from home. So you have to be on base at
all times?
There'll be no leave whilst undergoing Initial Naval Training unless, during that ten weeks, a block leave period is scheduled (usually 2 weeks Chrimbo, two weeks March/April and/or three weeks Aug).

During phase two & dry training, you can usually get two or three weekends off a month but it depends whether you are prepared to undergo 1000 mile round trips to get home for a couple of days & whether you can afford it.

Wet training - budget for 11-16 week patrol periods away from UK (ish).

WreckerL

War Hero
ET(MESM) phase two technical training at HMS Sultan is around 30 weeks as I understand it, but then there's the Wet & Dry Submarine Qualifying course, in addition (Wet=Sea training, Dry = Shore training). Wet & Dry depends on availability of courses and billets on boats. Dry training is at the Submarine School (currently Raleigh, but maybe moving North) is between 3-4 months, Wet training, depends on how switched-on the individual is - I'd budget for three to six months for NUGAS. 12 months if completely bone :)

Working hours at HMS Sultan is, I believe 08:00-16:00 mon-fri. If you are based in Faslane and "inboard", ie; not on patrol, you can commute home tae Glasgae usually at least three nights out of every four, same ratio of weekends.
NJ,
ET(MESM)'s don't do any training in the submarine school,SMQ dry training for all branches is either at Drake (T boats) or Neptune (A &V boats).

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
NJ,
ET(MESM)'s don't do any training in the submarine school,SMQ dry training for all branches is either at Drake (T boats) or Neptune (A &V boats).
Cheers. Looks like I'll have to flog & keel-haul my resident submariner "expert".

50P to a good home.

Quick status update. I've passed my PJFT, and i've got my provisional allocation date for the tail end of January next year so that's good.

Last major hurdle before Phase 1 Training is the PRNC which is booked in for late October (Wee bit more than a month to finish getting in shape). Aside from the expected physical prep to do for it, what else can I expect over the 4 days that i'm there?

fishhead

War Hero
Quick status update. I've passed my PJFT, and i've got my provisional allocation date for the tail end of January next year so that's good.

Last major hurdle before Phase 1 Training is the PRNC which is booked in for late October (Wee bit more than a month to finish getting in shape). Aside from the expected physical prep to do for it, what else can I expect over the 4 days that i'm there?
`Ere you go http://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/prnc-my-4-days-hope-this-helps.76893/

Al1902

Midshipman
Hi,

I'm interested in the NUGAS Scheme and would like to know the entry test score I need to achieve in order to get onto this scheme. I see on here it's 50%. However, in Cha[ter 5 of the entry requirements for comms tech, it says this: 90 R23 L14. Which I assumed to be 90/120 overall (roughly 75%). On the other hand for normal ET it says: 65N16. Which I assume to be 65/120 overall (roughly 54%). Basically, I'm confused on what is required for a NUGAS applicant. Please advise. Thanks!

dwade98

Midshipman
Al1902

I sat my RT for the Undergrad Scheme a few weeks ago and I'm now well into my application. As I remember, when I went into my AFCO to sit my RT I was asked to enter a room where I handed over my passport, birth certificate, national insurance number, nhs number and qualifications. I noticed there were some numbers on the front of my test near to the results area. I questioned my AFCA on what they were and he said that they were the minimum scores that I required to meet or exceed. If I remember correctly the minimum scores were as follows:

Reasoning-12/30
Verbal Ability-12/30
Numeracy-16/30
Mechanical Comprehension-16/30

I'm not entirely sure whether these are the scores for UGAS or just standard ET(MESM) but this is my experience :D

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
Ninja's post actually says:
  • A 50% higher than average minimum recruit test score is required (Same score as Comms Tech)
But seriously, it doesn't matter if you know what is required score is; just give it your best shot! I doubt you'll have time to 'tot up' your answers as you go to try and guesstimate your score. If you have the requisite educational qualifications then you should* be able to pass the RT. Good luck!

dwade98

Midshipman
Infact that brings me onto a question I've got. I've completed my RT, eye test, medical questionnaire which I'm awaiting a phone call from Capita to go over my results and an interview. I'm also ready to send off my DBS security vetting questionnaire on Monday. Am I to have any other interviews as other posts seem to point out an initial interview and then a further interview? My previous interview seemed focused on the RoS, training facilities, initial pay, promotion etc of UGAS

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Am I to have any other interviews as other posts seem to point out an initial interview and then a further interview? My previous interview seemed focused on the RoS, training facilities, initial pay, promotion etc of UGAS
Yep, after your selection interview in your AFCO, you'll complete selection then undergo a second interview, probably with with a 'Commander E'*, whilst on PRNC, prior to entry.

*=Engineer

Al1902

Midshipman
Thanks very much guys! Got my test in a couple of weeks! Anything I should specifically focus on? I've got a few books which I think are relevant - Navy RT book by - How to become. Thanks again.

dwade98

Midshipman
Simple answer to that Al1902 is just focus on whatever you find the most difficult after going through the book you've got.

For numeracy i'd say try to get really good at being able to do addition/subtraction/multiplication/division of 4 digit numbers fairly quick (eg 952.8-489.7) And for mechanical comprehension get a basic understanding of what tools you'd use for a certain job as opposed to another (eg. 'Out of tools 1-9, what combination would you use to repair a broken radio' etc) and perhaps pulleys and that?:)

Al1902

Midshipman
Quick status update, passed the recruiting test for NUGAS a couple of weeks ago, now have the interview in aound 1 & 1/2 weeks. Is there anything specific I need to know for the interview? I have read the previous posts, however, just want to make sure I know every detail for preparation!

dwade98

Midshipman
Well done passing your RT! :) Definitely learn the course structure for NUGAS (where you're based, for how long, what you'll be doing, how much you'll be getting paid in each stage) I know there's not a lot so when I have the time (and if i remember) I'll post a reply with a brief outline of the course structure but learn everything you can that's available online! Also, familiarise yourself with the structure of HMS Raleigh week by week, there's some really good threads on here which gives accounts of basic training, so find a recent one with really good detail and get learning.

Latest Threads