Introduction of Dolphins in the early '70s

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
Noticed in the 'submariner now a pongo' topic that Nutty and others joined boats before dolphins were introduced. According to 'The Royal Navy- An Illustrated Sociall History 1870-1982' by Captain John Wells, they were introduced in 1970 as most other submarine arms around the world had an emblem. I thought it was later than this by a couple of years, can anyone confirm this was the year?

I did hear that they were based on the RAN submariners badge??? anyone shed any light on this??

I first heard about this from my dad who was a serving submariner when they were brought in. He told me that presenting them to the entire ships company of a bomber alongside was a bit of an admin task. As they were an offical award for doing something the old man wanted to present them officialy (or as officialy as he could without giving himself a dead arm). The way they did it was to line up the qualified troops (Nos 1's) in two ranks, everyone having a set of dolphins in their hand, and then get the front rank to about turn. With everyone facing each other you presented your opposite number with their set!!!!!! He swears its true and says it went for a ball of chalk with everyone pissing themselves laughing etc and believe it took place in 71/72??????

Were all Officers/Senior rates given an 'HM Submarines' cap tally on qualification and presentation of dolphins? Never thought about it before, I was as a PO, maybe they were telling me something....!
 
Every boat did it their own way, we had divisions for ours in the car park at Faslane and the scipper handed then out as he did the inspection, but of course an O boat had fewer crew than a bomber.
 

Bluetot

Lantern Swinger
1970 would be about right, I did my Part 3 on the Otus in 69 and didnt get my Dolphins, at that time the cap tally was considered to be the submariners branch badge, as such when we went to shore stations for training, i.e. HMS Mercury in my case, we didnt change cap tallies.
 

skyvet

GCM
Prior to the issue of the coveted "Dolphins" qualified submariners had the option of wearing the "Sausage on a Stick" embroidered badge, which was worn on the left sleeve, just above the cuff.
The present day Dolphins differ from the first ones issued, in that the original ones had a brooch type pin as opposed to the two stud pins in use now, which made it harder to get them on straight.
I too recollect that 1970 was about the time they were first issued.
 

dingerbell

Lantern Swinger
I passed part3 in 1965 on one of the old T's, there was no presentation except an invitation to the bun house where the skipper gave his congrats and presented us with our dolphins(I still have mine). next time alongside dolphin you went to slops and got your sausage on stick badges and submarine cap tally. you wore a Dolphin cap tally in Dolphin2 and wore that until you passed your part3. Woe betide the OD'S who ever got caught with either submarine cap tally or dolphins before passing P3

UP SPIRITS...........SPLICEEEEEEEEEEERS!!
 
Between 1958 and 1964 they had available in slops a submarine badge that was could be stitched to the right cuff of No1 and No 2 uniform .
It was only given to submariners who had passed the pt 3 and had the notation made on their docs and paybook.
The badges had to be paid for they were commonly known as ''sausage on a stick'' -not popular and very few guys wore them.

On the 15th July 1971 we were issued with the Dolphins Badge as used to date.
Initial issue was as previously mentioned --whole boats crews mustered and given their badges .

Future part 3's on accomplishing successfully the Pt 3 onboard examination
were awarded a Dolphin badge -usually by the skipper prior to arriving alongside .

The dolphins as we know them were copied from the Oz insignia but included the 'fouled anchor ' also the Oz dolphins are smooth -ours have scales.

:nemo: :nemo:
 
Maxi_77 said:
Every boat did it their own way, we had divisions for ours in the car park at Faslane and the scipper handed then out as he did the inspection, but of course an O boat had fewer crew than a bomber.

Did you do yours on a Bomber ?

I was on a Bomber and we got ours in the JR's Dining hall before the end of the Patrol with the Dolphins in the bottom of the Glass of Pussers Rum.
 

lsadirty

War Hero
First time I saw them issued was when the author John Winton came to the building group at Cammel Lairds and handed out a few to the local lads. We had to arrange for a batch to be sent from Faslane & dished out in the bar one lunchtime.
 
dingerbell said:
I passed part3 in 1965 on one of the old T's, there was no presentation except an invitation to the bun house where the skipper gave his congrats and presented us with our dolphins(I still have mine). next time alongside dolphin you went to slops and got your sausage on stick badges and submarine cap tally. you wore a Dolphin cap tally in Dolphin2 and wore that until you passed your part3. Woe betide the OD'S who ever got caught with either submarine cap tally or dolphins before passing P3

UP SPIRITS...........SPLICEEEEEEEEEEERS!!

Dinger

I was there when you passed your part three on the Truncheon and you did not get any Dolphins cos they did not exists. But you was OK for brown card job. Yooos is going senile like the rest of us old bar stewards.

Nutty

Part Two

In 1970 the Swain wandered thru the boat with a box of Dolphins and chucked one at everybody cos I don't think we had any part 3's at that time. "Its pretty Swain what shall I do with it" "Stuff it where you like or gives you pleasure" was the reply.

As for the Tot drinking thing and catching them in your teeth that came from the Dry Navy Yanks in the late 70's or early 80's. The Bun House inventing traditions to replace the Murder of the Tot.

For me it will always be the cap tally. I wear them, as oppose to my medal which I have never worn, because it is expected but its not what I work thru my part 3 for.

Nutty
 

dingerbell

Lantern Swinger
Nutty you are right according to my missus, she who knows all(fcuuk all) I got HER!!! dolphin brooch when I was on Renown,she remembers because we lived in H'burgh at the time.I definitely remember going to the bunhouse for a tot and congrats from the skipper though. THAT MUST HAVE BEEN 1966.JEEEEESUS where have the last few years gone?? still the important bit is remembering that we are still part ot the creme de la creme.

UP SPIRITS...............SPLICEEEEEEEEEEEERS!!!!!
 
dingerbell said:
Nutty you are right according to my missus, she who knows all(fcuuk all) I got HER!!! dolphin brooch when I was on Renown,she remembers because we lived in H'burgh at the time.I definitely remember going to the bunhouse for a tot and congrats from the skipper though. THAT MUST HAVE BEEN 1966.JEEEEESUS where have the last few years gone?? still the important bit is remembering that we are still part ot the creme de la creme.

UP SPIRITS...............SPLICEEEEEEEEEEEERS!!!!!

It would have been Ian Ross, best skipper I ahd on any boat at any time. The man was a, "Gentleman". The highest praise you can bestow on a Grunter.

Nutty
 

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
shellbackmac said:
Noticed in the 'submariner now a pongo' topic that Nutty and others joined boats before dolphins were introduced. According to 'The Royal Navy- An Illustrated Sociall History 1870-1982' by Captain John Wells, they were introduced in 1970 as most other submarine arms around the world had an emblem. I thought it was later than this by a couple of years, can anyone confirm this was the year?

I did hear that they were based on the RAN submariners badge??? anyone shed any light on this??

I first heard about this from my dad who was a serving submariner when they were brought in. He told me that presenting them to the entire ships company of a bomber alongside was a bit of an admin task. As they were an offical award for doing something the old man wanted to present them officialy (or as officialy as he could without giving himself a dead arm). The way they did it was to line up the qualified troops (Nos 1's) in two ranks, everyone having a set of dolphins in their hand, and then get the front rank to about turn. With everyone facing each other you presented your opposite number with their set!!!!!! He swears its true and says it went for a ball of chalk with everyone pissing themselves laughing etc and believe it took place in 71/72??????

Were all Officers/Senior rates given an 'HM Submarines' cap tally on qualification and presentation of dolphins? Never thought about it before, I was as a PO, maybe they were telling me something....!


Belay the bit about the presentation ceremony being on a bomber, spoke to my old man and it turns out it was all qualified submariners who were inboard in Faslane (NTD, commcen etc) in 1970 who were required to take part in the ceremony described. He also told me that the original dolphins weren't very popular as they were smaller than they are now and just didn't look very good, and as some of you boys have stated he agrees that the only thing that mattered to him was the cap tally.
 
Top