Introduction: ET(MESM) Nuclear Undergrad Apprentice Scheme (NUGAS)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 11, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Nuclear Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme (NUGAS) is aimed at high academic achieving recruits who will join on an 8 year tailored career.

Successful applicants will undertake approximately 3.5 years of intensive training to qualify as Category B nuclear watchkeeper and technician before serving at sea as a qualified POET nuclear watchkeeper/technician for a minimum of 3 years.

The tailored career finishes with a 1 year in-service university course and the award of a BEng (Hons) degree.

Features:
    • An 8 year tailored engagement (minimum).
    • A paid in-service BEng(Hons) engineering degree (includes 1 year at university).
    • Rapid promotion to LET after approximately 18 mths and POET after approximately 4 years.
    • Career choices at the end of the scheme including optional career extension to 20 years. Potential promotion prospects to Officer.
    • Transferable qualifications in the defence of civil nuclear engineering industry.
    The basic eligibility standard is the same the current ET(MESM), with the following additional criteria for NUGAS:
    • Age on entry is restricted to between 18 – 29 years
    • A 50% higher than average minimum recruit test score is required (Same score as Comms Tech)
    • Minimum of 5x GCSEs at grade A*- C inc Maths, English and at least one science based subject.
    • Minimum of 160 UCAS points derived from Level 3 Maths and Physical Science/Engineering qualifications.
    Eligible applicants will initially be processed as standard ET(ME) applicants but will undergo a short (30-40 min) NUGAS interview when on PRNC. This interview will assess the candidate’s technical acumen, their interest and motivation to join the NUGAS scheme, and any evidence of teamwork. They will join in batches of ET(ME) NUGAS entrants in the same cohort.

Unsuccessful applicants who are not offered a NUGAS place will be loaded to a standard ET(MESM) entry.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Level 3 Qualification Criteria:

Requirement: Minimum 160 UCAS points gained from Level 3 qualification(s) in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering. Similar discipline level 4+ qualifications may be accepted as an alternative and are included below. The candidate must demonstrate they have completed a recognised course of education at this higher level, the grades are less relevant than the total of 160 UCAS points achieved. Hence, no pass grades are specified and the flexibility to combine different types of qualification. Recognised level 3 qualifications include:

GCE A/A2 Level. Minimum 160 UCAS points from:

2 A/A2 levels which must include Maths and one of the following subjects:

(a) Physics.
    (b) Chemistry.
    (c) Further/Advanced Maths.
    (d) Physical Science.
    (e) Electronics.
    (f) Engineering.

AND, if required to meet the minimum UCAS point requirement:

(a) Up to one other A level (any subject) OR
    (b) Up to 2 AS levels (any subject)

Any additional A/A2 levels and/or AS levels do not count towards the minimum UCAS point requirement.

Scottish Qualifications – Advanced Highers/Highers. 160 UCAS points from a maximum of 5 Scottish Highers (at grade C or better) or 3 Advanced Highers in:

Maths AND any combination of the following subjects:

(a) Physics
    (b) Chemistry
    (c) Further/Advanced Maths
    (d) Physical Science
    (e) Electronics
    (f) Engineering

BTEC Level 3 qualifications. 160 UCAS points from following BTEC Level 3 qualifications (at a grade equivalent to 40 UCAS points or more) in an engineering discipline:

Acceptable BTEC Level 3 qualifications include:

i. Diploma
    ii. Extended Diploma
    iii. Subsidiary Diploma
    iv. 90 Credit Diploma
    v. Certificate
    vi. Extended Certificate

Irish Qualifications. 160 UCAS points from a maximum of 5 Highers at grade C2 or higher in:

i. Maths AND any combination of the following subjects:

(a) Physics.
    (b) Chemistry.
    (c) Further/Advanced Maths.
    (d) Physical Science.
    (e) Electronics.
    (f) Engineering.

Other Qualifications. 160 UCAS points in any qualification listed in the UCAS Tariff Tables at a grade equivalent to 40 points or more in:

i. Any engineering discipline
    ii. Maths AND any combination of the following subjects

(a) Physics
    (b) Chemistry
    (c) Further/Advanced Maths
    (d) Physical Science
    (e) Electronics
    (f) Engineering

Applicants’ qualifications that are not listed will be considered on an individual basis.

Level 4 or higher qualifications. Level 4 or higher qualifications in, Engineering, Electronics, or Maths and a physical science are acceptable in lieu of level 3 qualifications and include:

i. HNC.
    ii. HND.
    iii. Foundation Degree.
    iv. BSc, BEng degrees.

3. Ninja_Stoker

The "Tiff" countdown clock has been started.....

• Like Like x 6
  4. Looks like it's a return to the olden days when many Tiffs had higher educational qualifications than most Officers entering with minimum requirements.
    As an ex POREL(A) I meet or exceed these educational requirements, as a 70 year old when can I sign on?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Can you get me an age waiver? It's a seamless transfer across.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Just a shame the acronym NUGAS sounds a bit like nougat.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Can it be back dated, just a decade or so will do.

8. If I read this correctly:
    A successful candidate signs on and after intensive training does 3 years at sea as a Cat B watchkeeper, finishes their degree and after 8 years is free to leave as a highly qualified Nuclear engineer, without any student debt
    Or am I being cynical?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, that's how I read it. An engineering degree, no debt, hands-on nuclear engineering experience & a submariner senior rate's wage

10. Yep you exceed this one

Age on entry is restricted to between 18 – 29 years

• Like Like x 1
  11. At a brief from RASM on Tuesday he confirmed that there would be a return of service (although it has not yet been confirmed what it is).

• Like Like x 1
  12. My friend recently had his interview for this and is just waiting to hear back from them. Seems like a really good opportunity.

13. Hi im 17 and finishing my a levels this year, ive applied for this and have my recruitment test next week, will there be questions in the interview about the navy such as ships, guns, etc etc? and if they do expect me to know about these things, what exactly will they want me to know?

14. Ninja_Stoker

Most of the formal interview covers a topic you know all about. You.

You are expected to know about your selection procedure and ideally what your job will entail, where you complete initial training, how long it's for, what the initial training involves. They'll ask about your role training location and duration, a little bit about what you know of nuclear propulsion, where you'll most likely be based, how long the contract is for, how quickly you can leave if you don't like it. They will also ask about the fitness requirements to join, what the swimming assessment involves, what PRNC is and what your wages will be.

The interview will initially focus on you and your upbringing, partner, family, education, fitness regime, hobbies, interests, work experience and suchlike. A general knowledge of the RN and its major components, types of ship & submarine is recommended - we are not looking for a standard Engineering Technician, we seek to recruit exceptional candidates under this scheme. Leadership potential and experience would also serve you well.

It's definitely worth calling into your AFCO and asking if you can have a copy of the Navy News so you can gain an insight as to what the Navy does and one little gem is the Defence in the Media MOD daily blog, which is an excellent insight into what is going on in the Armed Forces in general: https://modmedia.blog.gov.uk/2016/01/21/3177/

Best of luck - preparation is key.

15. Ninja_Stoker

NUGAS Factsheet attached

Attached Files:

16. I had my interview today which lasted about 1 hour 20 minutes, it was broken down into the usual topics such as family, work, education, motivation and knowledge about the course. I passed and now have to do medical and fitness test. I do have one question which hasnt really been cleared up and its, what is the exact job title at the end of the course? i know its petty officer engineering technician rank but not sure what the job title is, hope someone can help

17. Ninja_Stoker

ET(MESM) is what you join as The NUGAS bit is the scheme you are on.

At the end of it, you'll be a PO ET(MESM) if you achieve your goal.

18. thanks for the quick reply

19. Hi,
    I'm interested in applying for this, but don't meet the standard educational requirements. Do you know how long it usually takes to apply for a education waiver/ to apply with qualifications that aren't on the list?
    Cheers

20. Ninja_Stoker

What qualifications do you have & who has told you a waiver would be considered?