Intro to Marine Engineering...?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by jockpopeye, Apr 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

I am just about getting to the end of The Boat (Das Boot) and one of the things I am enjoying a lot is the detail of the various systems of the boat which are often decribed in a fair amount of detail for a book that would regard itself as a novel (I would describe as more of a documentary novel).

I was wondering, is there an idiots guide to marine engineering / how ships work that someone in the know could recommend?

I have had a scoot through the internet (including RumRation) and there are a few kiddies books and quite a few expensive technical manuals but nothing that sits inbetween for curious throbbers like me.
  2. Do you mean Marine Engineering as a general topic or re boats in particular, JP?
  3. It's a vast subject, are you looking for historic engineering, ships / submarines etc. Finding a book that covers everything I think will be difficult.
  4. You may find books relevant to class/type of ship/submarine but anything generalised would be a waste of time, the field is too diverse.

5. There are a couple that I can recommend. One is a SWIFTURE Class dit book, hand written by CPO S-B etc etc and is full (more than full!) of all the information you are seeking.

The other is the freely available Part 3 handbook, supplied by your local friendly Wrecker/Ch Stoker/29 Wall watchkeeper.

There are also countless SOP and System books that might help!
  6. 29 Bulkhead watchkeeper went with the S boats SB, T boats never had them nor Astutes.
  7. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

To get the correct context, I was similarly curious about the oil industry and picked up
    Oil: A Beginners Guide by Vaclav Smil
    The Prize by Daniel Yergin (highly recommended!)

I was wondering if anyone knew of similar works covering shipping / ships / marine engineering. I appreciate that it is an enormous subject, but I am really just looking to pick up a taste of it, not get into enough detail to retrain for any sort of ME role.

Having done a bit more trawling I am thinking of
    History of the Ship by Richard Woodman
    as a kicking off point but welcome any other suggestions, and many thanks for the input.