Intro from Yannis

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Yannis, Jun 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There it was - a scorching hot afternoon, staying in out of the sun with only the P.C. & a cold beer for company !
    Found this site & nostalgia kicked in ! Twenty seven years out of the "mob" & how time flies. Quick intro:-
    Joined at Raleigh 65 - left from Cochrane 1980 - Oh ! - the bit in the middle - Sultan, London, Sultan, Manxman, Ark Royal, Portland, Sultan,
    Glamorgan, Neptune. There it was fifteen years just like that!
    After life - with a firm of consulting enginers for ten years, then fifteen with a global insurer as staff engineer.
    After-afterlife - took redundancy at age fifty five, now three years ago - retired to Greece - so far living happily ever after, doing mostly what I did in service - avoiding work as much as possible, drinking the same way & playing with boats.
    Glad to be aboard.
  2. Cracking Yannis, Welcome aboard mate :)
    Always nice to see people here that actually know what they are talking about :D
  3. Cheers Lamri.......... Errrrm. would never ever think I knew what I was talking about !!
    Nice bum by the way (was going to say arse, but thought it might be against forum rules ?)
  4. Yannis:

Yassoo and parakaloh (hope that's close).
    Welcome to the world of reminiscing, mud-slinging and all things in between. BBD
  5. Arrse is for pongos. Welcome Yannis, a nice life you've got there
  6. bbd - that'll do for starters, we will continue with the Grammar & the conjugating of verbs at a later stage - meanwhile it's usefull to know we Brits usually just talk slower & louder, to enable the "Natives" to understand us.

Hi Harry off the Herpes - sorry for the error !
  7. Welcome Yannis. Not thought about coming back to Blighty?
  8. We do come back once a year to see the sproggs - don't like it much !
  9. [​IMG]

This Avatar ring a bell ?? (heh heh...) - Sorry... old Intel gathering habits die hard!

Psssttt want an Oatcake?

(Hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree here)
  10. You bad old sea dog you ! - that's what you get for perving other sites !
    No secret here ! - the Staffordshire oatcake, my recipe for imortallity !
    Sorry - but I'm afraid that now you will have to die !!!
  11. Got us all interested now BBD!! Care to share your findings with us?

12. SF/Yannis:-

All I did was cut'n' paste first two words of the location into Google!

Only one hit came back! Job done! :w00t:
  13. BBD - Phew ! Had me worried there !
  14. No problem mate. Welcome aboard. :boogie:
  15. Gia sou esie kala, ola eivie kala? Daxi?

Ha, welcome John, how are you?

It's Gia sou if a capital at the front and yasou without the capital. Paracalou or something like that.
  16. Hello Yannis,

Welcome on board. Take it you were a 'clanky' from your service record? Even so, wish I was there sinking an ice-cold Mythos with you instead of looking at the latest downpour back here. Watch out for those brush fires, now!
  17. Gia sou Tzenni mou - olla poli endhaxi etho mazi mou, sas efxharisto yia tn filoxenia sas kai eemai xaroumenos yia eemai mazi sas.
    Hate phonetics - but might seem pretentious to use Greek alphabet !
    Thanks Jenny, it's been a while, but now have time to catch up with things & am interested to know if & how you have all managed to cope in my absence !!! How's life on the "Big Island?" It was bloody hot here until recently - 46-48c. Still....... get me used to the next afterlife eh ?
  18. Cheers Naval G - Having one of the very same right at the minute. Ahh - the ice cold nectar, a bite but not bitter, by golly I'll have another !
    Yes Clanky through & through - a "Steamy" though, don't suppose many will know what that stuff was now ?
    Waterlooville eh - don't know a Tom (Wiggy) Bennett - ex PRI around those parts do you ? used to be a good oppo.
  19. I'll be having a couple of San Migs at my sailing club shortly and will raise a glass in your direction.

Even as a seaman, I spent time on the plates tending Y100s during training. Superheated steam at 550 deg and 425 psi, or was it the other way round?

Sorry, but I don't know your old mate Wiggy. I haven't dared show my face at the local RNA since I won two of the top three prizes in the Fri night meat raffle during an introductory visit a couple of years ago :silent: .
  20. To be honest, it wouldn't make a difference to me Yannis lol I can understand a little in greenglish and the alphabet lol

It's hot here to 41c but the humidity is rising! I heard crete was around 47 the other day!

But you write in Greek, I'm writing a Cypriot version, so may take me a few minutes to adjust lol