Intriguing Forces Question

Tim_Lodge

Guys, US enquirer here. I posted on another forum that I thought maybe appropriate and although I got some useful responses, someone suggested also asking here but told me I'd get a load of grief. I'm researching discipline in the armed forces across the world and I was trying to find out whether certain things would warrant a disciplinary charge, minor of otherwise.

The other forum came up with issues such as fainting on duty, throwing up or soiling yourself on parade and dropping your weapon. Someone also posted a great Parliamentary question from the 1950's asking why a guardsman was punished after fainting. My question was whether any such events would still merit someone being charged or is that a thing of the past - if it ever did exist?

We're much more relaxed about such issues in the US Navy etc and folk leaving parades through illness or need is not uncommon but I'd be fascinated about the formality of the British forces.

I'm expecting to be told to f-off, or that's what I was told to expect but if this does merit being moved to another section, feel free. Cheers

Wilf

Midshipman
Fainting or falling ill on parade is not a disciplinary issue. And hasn’t been for at least the last 20 years I’ve served.

Wilf

Midshipman
I’ve seen ‘Minor Administrative Action’ taken against servicemen who’s uniform wasn’t up to standard on parade (normal punishment is a show parade or kit muster), and also for entire squads (classes) who’s drill wasn’t up to scratch - their punishment was extra drill training.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
@Tim_Lodge .
F_off, that's that out of the way :)

In the RN it has never been a disciplinary offence (I joined in 1973, left in 2007) and have never known anyone be charged for fainting etc, as Wilf said, you may get something minor if it's due to being hungover etc.

Not sure about the USN, but in the RN we don't spend a lot of time on a parade ground doing formation walking.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
So, whilst fainting in itself isn't an offence, if you've brought it upon yourself i.e. been out the night before, wound one on and are hungover beyond belief you're open to minor sanctions for that, much in the same way that sunburn can be.

Tim_Lodge

Thanks, helpful replies.

I did try to post a link to the parliamentary question about a UK guardsman getting disciplined for fainting but it got deleted so I guess I'm not permitted to do that.

One other question though, if I may? How easy or difficult is it to get permission to leave a parade/ceremony if you feel unwell or have a need? And would you get any form of reprimand for asking or stepping down?

I've seen it happen several times over here and there have never, to my knowledge, been any reprimands but I'm guessing things will be different in the more formal British set up?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
It you feel you're about to faint, feel unwell etc, the standard practice I've always seen in the RN is for the person to go down on one knee, the parade staff and/or medics will then come over to check them out.

Seadog

War Hero
did try to post a link to the parliamentary question about a UK guardsman getting disciplined for fainting but it got deleted so I guess I'm not permitted to do that.

Go ahead and post it. It was the auto spam/bollocks/troll hammer that did for your earlier attempt. You and the mods could see it but it was never ‘posted’.

Dusty70

War Hero
I was a Part II Instructor at HMS Raleigh 1987/88 - as WreckerL says - if you felt unwell you went down on one knee and the GIs around the parade would come over - make you remove your cap, catch your breath then resume, move your toes/rock back on your heels etc.

If you keeled over everybody left you (cannot break parade) and stretcher bearers came on and carried you off to a couple of medics in the drill shed

No comebacks unless you were hungover/dehydrated as you had been warned about this beforehand, so usually low level 'punishment' like an extra duty or clean the heads etc. - nothing formal

Also on Achilles as WIGs formal visit by Governor of Bermuda ? - not sure but we used to have a naval base there - RM in the Guard 'followed through' after night on the P*ss - Marine Colour Sergeant went absolutely ballistic and he got 1 weeks 'beasting'

but to summarise - no formal comeback - but that is the Navy - Army (Guards etc) might be different