Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by rugger_bob, Apr 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, Could any of you folk, give me some advice on applying for jobs in civvy street.
    I have made up my C.V., but not included that I am serving with the RNR, for reasons of PERSEC etc, as it is available through many employment agencys.

But if anyone could give me any tips or advice how to approach this matter with potenail new employer at the interview stage, what to say, or should I even mention that fact I am in the RNR ??

Thankyou in advance.
  2. Interesting question. I do mention the RNR at interviews with a line like...

"The one thing I have left off my CV is the fact I am in the naval reserve"
    I then go on to explain what I do both in branch and unit and, of course, twist it to fit in with what they expect in the post for which I am being interviewed.

3. Thanks Monkey.

What are the responces of future/potenail civvy employers to the RNR ?, are they positive and supportive of the employee, working for the RNR or are they very unsupportive ?
    I have many concerns with any future employer, ok my present one, is supporting me to a point.
    But although my thoughts are unfounded, do most employers frown upon the reserve service's for many reasons,
    Replacing you if called up
    Time off for training etc

or do they see it as an employee who is motivated ??

Your thoughts please
  4. Bear in mind that I'm still some months from actually leaving the regular service but the main thing about potentially including it on your CV is to demonstrate the value from it. In my case actually putting it on the CV wouldn't have added anything to my existing experience.

The way I approached it with the firm that I accepted an offer from was to wait until I'd sent back the contract then dropped an email to the HR manager to ask for a copy of the reserves policy, then offered to help write one ;)

If you do find things tricky I'd recommend SABRE which has all the information they need. It includes information about the financial support they'll get if you are mobilised, although to be fair in my case the financial compensation will not cover my chargeout rate so the firm will lose money as a result.

RMs approach above seems quite good, and I did similar when I talked about the branch I'm entering and what that could mean to the firm. Work out how to sell it to them, what are the benefits to the firm in supporting you, again the SABRE points of contact can help with this. One thing to avoid is using the role title, it's meaningless to many people, talk about what the job involves.
  5. Thankyou Karma,

Read through SABRE, been most helpful.
  6. It is a really difficult one. However there is something to be said for putting it on your CV because it does demonstrate some character but there will be those potential employers who will see it as a negative. I have done so and I don't think it has affected me in the past. The way I see it is, if they are the sort of employer who is going to question taking on a reservist at that point then what kind of employer would they turn out to be when you're trying to sort out ORT?

Also the kind of employers who are negative about an employee being in the reserves are likely to be the kind that will also be difficult about other aspects of your life e.g. family or sporting interests, paternity or maternity leave or the need to care for children at short notice. In fact they are likely to be the types who believe work/life balance is something that means 80% work 20% life and therefore another employer is a threat. They can't hold that ultimate power over you and some don't like it.

As an employer I know it is the employees market at the moment, so if you are good and the right person for the job, then it is likely to be a stupid, lazy and selfish employer probably with poor management skills who would discriminate against you for wanting to serve you Queen and Country (and for realistically a very short time that mostly doesn't affect them) as opposed to his/her profit margin.

May I suggest you may not want to work for such people? What say we start a campaign to name the best employers and shame the bad ones?
  7. Thankyou Navylark, some very good points for me to consider, you are right, if they cant respect Folk serving Queen and country, then they aren't worth the time or effort, So you think I should put my role on my C.V, even if it might cause issues with PERSEC ?
  8. I cannot really see how putting the RNR on the CV is an issue to PERSEC. All I did is put my rank and ship on the CV, and in the interview a brief discussion of what I do in the reserves. I actually saw the notes made from the interview and she commented that I was a very well motivated individual (Oh how wrong can one be! :D :roll: ).

However, I might hasten to add here that this was only a summer job (although they didn't know that at the time) working in a shop. It was quite entertaining results later when I 'fessed up to being a student and consequently am now leaving for the last year of my degree :p .

Whether the reserves is going to be a benefit to you in the interview or not really depends on how you word it. If you focus on talking about the teamwork skills and leadership rather than the social side, then RNR enrollment appears as a positive impact in the workplace.
  9. Bob

I see your point and that is a difficult one to answer. As you are sending it out to all and sundary you may wish to reserve that information until someone grants you an interview unless you are happy with the destination.

I had a similar conversation with an employee of a local authority who was pushing me for information when I was in the unfortunate position of claiming some benefits from them. In the end I had to tell the high and mighty cow that I couldn't give her any more details of my RNR time because I didn't know who she was as she wouldn't identify herself. Also I wasn't happy with who would end up seeing the information in her organisation which did not neccessaily have the best reputation for being positive towards the armed forces.

I ended up telling her that I was more than happy to speak to a senior manager in person once his/her credentials had been checked. Fortunately for me she actually backed off and I got my claim processed - she could have got even more stroppy! Risky strategy. Boring dit over.

My recommend is you talk to your unit XO who is USO as well.
  10. again, difficult.

If you're targetting firms directly then it's reasonable to put it on there as you know where the information is going.

If you're working through an agency then I'd avoid. Agencies should ask you for permission to pass your CV on, but contacts in the industry say they freqnuently fire it all over the place in the hope of getting a bite on it. You have no clear idea of where it is and it potentially associates your location details if your address/ telephone is on there.

I had this issue with one firm, my CV doesn't have my clearances but it does identify the level of information that I can be granted access to. I have a friend in a firm who commented about it and I didn't know it had gone to that firm. Not amused, there are some firms that version of the CV wouldn't have gone to.....
  11. I thought under the terms of Sabre you now were required to notify your potential employer? At least this is the case with the Army
  12. All Officer names are public knowledge as they are published in navy list - no persec issues there thanks to HMSO.
  13. But the Navy list doesn't include home address, telephone number and email address. All it has is the name, and ones place of work several months ago.
  14. Thankyou so much guys, some very good thoughts.

How would I get round this at the interview, still pondering that one, not sure how to put it across.
  15. Watch how you go on mentioning your RNR 'membership'. From experience, large corporations will accommodate your membership, medium size companies will have reservations of your time away, but will support it as long as it is not too demanding. And small companies are most likely not to consider your application at all. You are obliged to inform potential employers; pulling the wool over their eyes will not put you in good stead when you approach them for 2 weeks leave to do annual training, or you get mobilised to Kabul for 6 months..... 8O

Good luck in hunt
  16. G'day Rugger Bob..

Well mate that really is quite a sticky problem , as many companies have different ideas about the benefits to them, and ultimately to their share holders, or in the case of a small firm, the chance of picking some-one up to fill you shoes for a short time, with the same abilities and qualifications as yourself.

It's all right us saying that for the good of the country they all should allow this, I think we all agree that this would be the scenario in a perfect world, but it's quite a cut throat world out there in civvy street, and by now way run perfectly. Many cases you will just be a number, who when you stop being money efficient for them, you will soon be asked to look around, or you will suddenly find that you don't have the same prestige as you formerly had.

The best bet for the type of firm to apply to is a government department, or one of the really big companies who no doubt will have some-one who could replace you :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: Unfortunately they sometimes do just that. Be careful who you work for, it's no use starting a job then the first time that you are needed quickly you have to explain to them when they are trying to complete a big job on time or lose a contract.

I do wish you the best of luck mate, there are some bloody good companies around who will understand your problem and let you carry on you RNR duties.

regards ping bosun
  17. Well,

Guys, went to the interview, got the job, but the main thing that I said about the RNR was that I wasnt allowed to put it on my C.V. because of PERSEC, they were fine with it and even said they don't have a problem, we as a company will support you.

Thanks again for all your assistance, it helped on the day of the interview.
  18. Good news, congratulations
  19. Well done mate, hope its for mega bucks!
  20. Well done mate. I'm sure that you won't regret it.

remember to keep your chin up and you will always win through.