Interviews and what's to come?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nik-s2015, Nov 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just passed my physical and have received a letter regarding an interview. The letter gives a broad outline as to what the interview is about. IE my career choice etc. But I am wondering will they ask questions regarding other things? Naval history current affairs that sort of thing.

Second to that what is the dress code to these interviews?

I tried looking around the forum for other answers but couldn't find any so if this is a re-post I do appoligise.

I just want to get a bit of information as to what is expected of me as I'd hate to bugger it up this far through.

Thanks for any help.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Dress as you feel is appropriate for any life-changing job interview. Arrive early.

Don't pick your nose, loll on the desk, whistle, chew gum, swear, text, roll a fag, light-it, answer your mobile, file your nails, or call your prospective employer "mate". Not all at once, anyway - it takes years to become a careers adviser.
  3. Dress smart
    Swot up on current affairs
  4. Are you joining as an officer or rating?

Obviously knowing what the job entails for the branch you are joining goes without saying.
    I'd swat up on current affairs affecting the Navy, current roles and resonsibilities (i.e. not just fighting wars from the sea).
    Future of the RN, current & new ships, how their capabilities reflect the change in threats etc...
    If you can find any info on naval ethos & core values, that will get you brownie points.
    Be honest, if you don't know something, say so. They will happily let you waffle, which isn't gonna be to your advantage if your info isn't 100%
    Above all, relax and be yourself.
  5. @shazam21@
    I am joining as a rating I am expecting my interview at the end of November the 25th to be exact. And hopefully soon after I'll get the word either in verbal or letter format on a training day or the next step.

Thanks for all the answers to date guys it is much appreciated. I expected to go in a suit I just didn't want to turn up and seem out of character. I saw a guy there when I went for my medical and he was in a suit but I didn't know what he was there for. So I guess I'll play it safe and just wear a suit.

I also wondered do they ask you about Naval history? I've been reading some of it and its OK to read it doesn't bore me but I am wondering if I should focus my learning on current affairs, as mentioned or spread it out between the two.

Thanks again the information has helped a lot.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For Naval Ratings, a broad awareness of current rather than historic Naval operations is advised, together with a knowledge of your chosen branch.

Best of luck.
  7. In these slightly uncertain times, an appreciation of the future of the RN and you career path might be a good one to look into. Number of intend ships in the future, times to promotion for you etc.

Good luck
  8. Whack a suit on for a start. Also, do not underestimate the emphasis on naval knowledge. The questions will likely vary from AFCO to AFCO but you'll be expected to identify all the types of ship and naval vehicle (and the equipment onboard). You will be asked about the RN, Marines and the RFA. First sea Lord, Second sea lord, CINCfleet... etc (their roles). Different units, roles on a ship, your whole training pipeline. Don't forget to research lots into the FAA too! Where is the RN around the world? What is the role of the RN? They want precise knowledge, anything said must be expanded on also. I know this sounds bad, but do your revision and you'll be fine.