Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by EyeEyeSailor, Aug 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So i know this type of thread is repeated 100x a week, but i didnt want the same answer as other people(well i proberbly do, i just didnt check)

Well basically i just wanted to know what sort of question would the interviewer ask, and where will i find the information to answer these questions(im talking about Navy related questions, not the personal ones.)

Please dont link me to this page -
    Or this one -

As although they do answer my question partially, i have read them and didnt find the information i need/want.

Your help will be appreciated.

(Im wanting to go in as a ET(ME) - I have done the RT)
  2. What is the training pipeline for ET(ME)? eg how long at HMS Raleigh, how long at HMS Sultan? What will you be learning at HMS Sultan? What do you think the day-to-day work of an ET(ME) involves?

What kind of engines do you think power the RN's ships?
  3. Soliel, I confess that I do not know the answer to the first four questions, being a Ganges rating.
    But the Brilliant had Two RR TYNES and an Olympus set of engines.
    To give that extra spurt of power we had over 6 outboards!
    Take it I wouldn't pass the interview now? :lol:
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Short of sitting the interview for you, there's little to add to the advice already given, which includes the generic type of questions asked & a few branch specific examples given by Soleil, above.

Think basics, such as: What is a four-stroke cycle, how do you wire a plug, what would you check if a car wouldn't start, what is a micrometer used for, etc., etc.

It's doubtful the interviewer will ask you the tappet clearance on a Paxman Valenta exhaust valve on a hot engine or the overspeed trip settings on a Rolls Royce Spey gas turbine. so don't get too hung-up on technicalities.

Stop worrying & good luck.