Interview Nerves

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by charham, May 10, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello I am a new-be to this site so hello :hello2: I have an interview on Monday ( a bit short notice I know) but does anyone have any advice and or tips as to what I may expect at all please, I have revised as much as I know but have no idea what to expect, I am applying as a cook and any advise would be appreciated ( and im sorry dont do it is not an option :tongue: )

Thank you
    ch :love10:

2. Everyone is nervous when it comes to interviews, or should I say everyone who really wants the position.
    Rule 1 Turn up on time, in the RN that means at least 5 minutes before you are due.
    Rule 2 Be smart, no trackie bottoms or hoodies. Trousers and a shirt with a tie, polished shoes and a tidy appearance never fails.
    Rule 3 Be yourself, don't try to be someone you are not,it will show through.
    Rule 4. Be keen and speak clearly, do not mumble and do not use street slang.
    Rule 5. Listen to what your interviewersays to you, don't go off in a daydream
    Rule 6. Try to think of a couple of interesting questions to ask at the interview, nothing worse than when the interviewer says "Have you any questions" replying "No".

Best of luck!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As Slims says be yourself. You are the world's subject matter expert on the topic of conversation anyway - You.

Just follow the advice in the letter. Be early, be smart. If you don't know something, say you don't know.

Good luck.

4. Thank you very much for replying, it is much appreciated and with great relief that there is someone out there to help so thank you. I am ok with time I have done a dummy run and have timing sorted out. sorry to pick your brains again but do you think black trousers a black polo neck and high heels will be ok as I am not sure that is good enough if not I will get my suite out with high heels. I think I have a any further questions sorted out which I have been struggling with for a while.
    Thank you very much for taking the time x

5. Thank you as well Ninja Stokes for your advise and replying it is much appreciated x

6. Ninja_Stoker

Assuming you are female, you'll be fine wearing either.

As a bloke, I'd be inclined to give the high heels a miss although we are an equal opportunities employer, come to think of it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. last bit of advice.
    Listen to your Uncle Ninja he knows what he is talking about cos he's one of them. ...................................................:eek:mg:...............................................................No not gay he's a recruiter.:hello2:

8. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Uncle ninja does sound creepy though....

Just the thoughts of a blonde, ex wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up!

9. :) Thank you all for your advise x Yes, I am a practicing female :laughing8: I will wear my high heels with pride :))
    Thank you again for your advice x

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Good luck with your application to the Submarine Service! :thumbleft:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

The only other thing I'd advise is simply dress business-like, it's a job interview, not a hen night. Long hair? Tie it back or up, off your face. Heels, as stated: fine as long as they are comfortable and practical to walk in.

12. Thank you Ninja Stokes, That has given me a better direction as to what to wear x Have a good day Thank you again for your advise x

13. exJenny

Any other shoe advice you need, he's your man. ;)

14. it's just his feminine side coming out and if you dig deep you might find a pair of heels in your cupboard that you need advise on ;-) x

15. exJenny

He'd probably nick them.

16. You could always share them :) :) x ok I must log out now gotta get me sarnnies sorted out (sorry you can't share those ;) ) enjoy your day x

17. Ninja_Stoker

Rest assured if the day ever dawned that I dressed like some of the people I interview, I'd be arrested for breach of the peace. I've interviewed blokes with bright pink, spikey hair and more facial piercings than an accident in a rivet gun factory, a bloke in a frock, a lady in a tweed jacket & trousers with a deer-stalker hat, someone who brought their staffordshire bull terrier (complete with studded harness), a girl in her school PE kit, a bloke in a leather suit, you name it. Jimmy Choos advice? Nae bother.

18. Really!!! that is unbelievable and madness do they not know what they were applying for!! It was weird when Slim said ‘don’t speak slang’ I was baffled, why would I speak slang! its disgusting, but for him to say it maybe people do that sort of thing now.. weird Really!!! If people text speak me I ask hem to resend it speaking properly as I dont understand it for one. It is unbelievable and madness do they not know what they were applying for!! It was weird when Slim said ‘don’t speak slang’ I was baffled, why would I speak slang! its disgusting, but for him to say it maybe people do that sort of thing now.. weird

19. exJenny

Weirder things happen online.

20. Ninja_Stoker

Amen to that. We've even had wierdos pretending to be RN Careers Advisers on the RN Facebook page. SBS Troopers I can understand, but careers advisers?