Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by penny_107, Apr 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, i'm at the stage where i've passed all the written exams, the medical, the 2.4k run and now im having my interview next Thursday. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me?

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Learn to use the search engine is always a good one...

3. Yes, start preparing for the interview three weeks ago.
  4. Thank you for the website..i'm going in as a chef..hopefully. i've read lots of information on the interview itself like what they ask you, how to answer and helpfull questions you should ask. i've also read that you should do a follow up letter basiclly saying thank you for the interview hope to hear from you soon, should i do that;? because my mother says i shouldnt??

5. Penny, you find out on the day whether you have passed the interview or not! :)
  6. ...oh :lol:
  7. Penny

Be sure to know the names of some of the RN's ships and the different types; have a quick look at the aircraft and submarines as well. Check this out:

Know what your training pipeline is - where? how long? etc

Re the "Thank You" letter; if you would like to write afterwards, you may; it will be quite unusual for a CA to receive a "Thank You" letter, but I am sure that he/she will appreciate it. It won't make any difference to your prospects, however. I can imagine a scenario in a civvy context where there are several good candidates and the employer might take into account the fact that you took the trouble to write etc, but in this context, it won't make any difference.

As Trigger says, the CA will tell you whether you have passed at the end of the interview.
  8. thank you for the help, i didnt know it would help to know some of the ships?!?!
  9. Penny,

If I could give you any advice I would say to be yourself as most of the interview will be about you! learn different types of ship/aircraft, where your training will take place and where ships are deployed. Think of answers to questions you might get asked such as why you want to join the etc etc
  10. If you haven't got a copy of Navy News, get one from W H Smith tomorrow and have a browse to see who is where and why etc.
  11. I bought one before and that one was mainly about sports..didnt really help. are there quite a few mags on the navy about different stuff?
  12. As soleil says, look for ' navy news ' quite a large newspaper type magazine. There's a wealth of info on the inside cover of it about where ships are deployed!
  13. Nothing which would be suitable, really.

A copy of Navy News is your best bet.

I would suggest asking yourself where the Royal Navy is deployed at the moment. The RN is not only to be found at sea; it is also active on dry land. It has bases in the UK eg RN Air Stations and the bases on the coast; know where they are. What about outside the UK? Where might you find the Royal Navy on land at the moment?
  14. An online copy of Navy News is available on their website - Look in the top right hand corner for "Navy News Digital Edition". Obviously you can't beat a paper copy with notes scrawled all over it.

In the civilian world it's quite normal to send a follow up phone call/letter/e-mail a few days after an interview, especially if you haven't heard back. Even if you have been turned down, it's commonplace to write asking to be considered for any future positions. From what's been said in this thread it doesn't sound as if that would apply for your application.
  15. My own opinion (which as a stinking pongo is worth more than anyone elses :D ) is that if you would normally write a letter after an interview, then do so in this case.

Might aswell be true to yourself, especially if it does no harm.

I usually send incriminating pictures of the interviewer with the hooker I set them up with, requesting they reconsider my application. Whatever works for you mate.
  16. First and foremost be honest and relax. If they ask you a question you don't know the answer to, be honest and say you're not sure. Learn about your job and responsibilities, learn about your training - where it will take place, for how long, what it involves etc etc. I was also asked about pay, minimum length of service, my family life, my personal circumstances. The interviewer also asked me what rank he was, so it may be worth reading up on all the different ranks and their badges so you can recognise what rank has what badge.