Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interview help

Mrs Plum

Lantern Swinger
Hello,

My son has his interview on Thursday, he has been doing all his research as instructed by his email from the navy, but he has been online and is now panicking that the questions are going to be more indepth and they are looking for evidence to back it up, he was also given a how to pass you navy interview first time book from a friend, has anyone had their interview in the past few months that could advise? He is only just 17 with not a huge amount of life experience, but has had part time jobs since he was 13.

Last edited:

Jack17

Hi,
Your son can relax. The interview i had at the AFCO really wasn't too bad and the interviewer was really nice! If i were to give a few tips/things to concentrate on they would be:
  • Think really hard about why you want to join the Navy over the RAF or the Army.
  • Think about why you have chosen your role and what it involves.
  • Revise the current operations and deployments of the Royal Navy. Essentially know where the Navy is and why. The Navy news is a good place to start with this - you can view old copies online or buy a copy in some news agents.
  • Have an understanding of the Royal Navies pay grades and ranks
  • Have an understanding of the remaining stages of your recruitment process and what training you will go through (HMS Raleigh etc.)
  • Think about any challenges you have faced or any situations you have worked in a team as you may be asked.

This isn't an exhaustive list of what your son will be asked, but many of the questions in my interview related to this.
Above all I would just be yourself and not try to be something your not. One thing i did was to have mock interviews with my parent and school tutors - I found that this really helped.

Good Luck! :)

CrazyLady80

Midshipman
Thank you for your help, I think I am more nervous than he is. This post will help him.

Hi Mrs Plum. Sorry I can't give any advice but I just wanted to tell you that you're not alone with your worries. My Son has just turned 17 last week and he'll be into week 5 at Raleigh after easter break and I know exactly how you feel. I've been through every emotion possible in the last 6 or 7 weeks but I'm feeling fine about him going back because he's really enjoying it. It does get easier as the time goes on and they are really well looked after. Good luck to your son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
One thing you may have to steel yourself against, after possibly letting him lie-in every day on leave, enjoy glorious home cooking and zero phys.....he won't want to go back! :)

CrazyLady80

Midshipman
One thing you may have to steel yourself against, after possibly letting him lie-in every day on leave, enjoy glorious home cooking and zero phys.....he won't want to go back! :)

Haha. He's never been one for staying in bed & I've never been a great cook so he's raring to go and has his eye firmly on passing out

Mrs Plum

Lantern Swinger
Thanks, I've been reading lots of post on this, it's all very encouraging and helping settle my nerves a bit, it all seems to be progressing very quickly.

Well we should know by midday Monday, my nerves will be shot and I'll be the wreck in the corner:)

fishhead

War Hero
Thanks, I've been reading lots of post on this, it's all very encouraging and helping settle my nerves a bit, it all seems to be progressing very quickly.

Well we should know by midday Monday, my nerves will be shot and I'll be the wreck in the corner:)
Don't forget the navy wants recruits and they are not looking for an excuse to let one get away.

Mrs Plum

Lantern Swinger
That's a good point, he had a wee mock interview with my boss today, she was really pleased with his answers, think it put his mind at ease:)

Mrs Plum

Lantern Swinger
Well he passed his interview I am so proud of him, he is delighted, thank you all for your advice.

Last edited:

Mrs Plum

Lantern Swinger
I'm impressed at the efficiency of the Royal Navy, we are receiving emails left, right and center, is it normal to get security checks before the medical phone call?

Altrius

Midshipman
I'm impressed at the efficiency of the Royal Navy, we are receiving emails left, right and center, is it normal to get security checks before the medical phone call?

Typically - I believe so. Currently, I believe waiting times on Security checks are rather length. As such, the earlier your son has both completed, and sent the Security Clearance, the better....

...Moreso, given that certain roles within the Royal Navy have generally 'shorter' times to join, having completed the security clearance sooner can also be beneficial.

Lynds

Badgeman
I'm sure my son had his security clearance after his medical as he was temp unfit for a while, but good luck to your son, it's a scary time for us mums! My son goes to Raleigh 1st October

Mrs Plum

Lantern Swinger
I'm sure my son had his security clearance after his medical as he was temp unfit for a while, but good luck to your son, it's a scary time for us mums! My son goes to Raleigh 1st October

Is it your first child in the forces?

Mrs Plum

Lantern Swinger
Typically - I believe so. Currently, I believe waiting times on Security checks are rather length. As such, the earlier your son has both completed, and sent the Security Clearance, the better....

...Moreso, given that certain roles within the Royal Navy have generally 'shorter' times to join, having completed the security clearance sooner can also be beneficial.

Thanks, it's all new to us

Altrius

Midshipman
It's not a problem.

As a rejoiner - I've been through the system twice now. If there's any way I can be of assistance, just send me a message.

Lynds

Badgeman
Yes my first and eldest, he will be 17 when he goes but he's really looking forward to it but still working hard on his fitness and stuff, no stopping in bed, he's even doing his own ironing!!

Mrs Plum

Lantern Swinger
Yes my first and eldest, he will be 17 when he goes but he's really looking forward to it but still working hard on his fitness and stuff, no stopping in bed, he's even doing his own ironing!!

It's my eldest too, he turned 17 in February, he is very excited about it he is putting me to shame on the exercise front

Mrs Plum

Lantern Swinger
It's not a problem.

As a rejoiner - I've been through the system twice now. If there's any way I can be of assistance, just send me a message.

Thank you so much, everyone is really helpful:)

It is reassuring to hear that other mums are as anxious about the whole process. I think it is worse waiting and wanting for your kids than it would be for myself! Maybe we should start an anxious mums section ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Please help with Interview and Training information Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Ghost29 Rating selection interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S Help please. Changing role before interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
C Interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Naval interview please help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
B Selection interview help ET(ME) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
G Big help with interview tomorrow Submariners 11
M Interview Help Please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Knightsrum Comms Apprentice interview, help please. RFA 2
C Marine Engineer interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
G interview help and advice RFA 4
W Selection interview! Help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Tomahawk Interview Help History 8
C Selection interview help? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
G Last Interview, Help Please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
C interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C Et(me) interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Engineering Technician - Marine Engineering Interview HELP! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
J Submariner interview this Thursday...HELP! Submariners 2
I HELP GOT INTERVIEW NEXT WEEK what am i expected to know about the navy for interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
19jw89 Sift interview - help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
B need a bit of help- selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
C Medical assistant (SM) Interview in a few weeks, help needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P Interview...HELP Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
O Ships of the fleet - interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
rikleigh03 interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
C SIFT Interview - help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
J My Interview Please Help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 97
K impending interview HELP!!!!!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C have an interview scheduled for officer entry - help needed! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B wearing a suit during the interview? would it help? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
B PLEASE HELP interview nerves!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
J How long is the interview? Joining the Royal Navy 15
N RFA Seaman Apprenticeship interview- competency Q's RFA 0
D Failed at Selection Interview - Looking for advice going forwards Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
F SE Interview Response RFA 0
O RFA System Engineer (qualified) interview RFA 7
MoD_RSS Leaders in Analysis - an interview with Aakash and Jane MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil Service starts guaranteed interview scheme for veterans MoD News 0
K PJFT I did mine before my interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
B CIS interview. Joining the Royal Navy 2
S RFA engineering interview RFA 4
B Rating interview during Covid-19 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
N Telephone Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S First Interview - AC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
N got my interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
soleil YT: Royal Navy - An Interview With F-35 Pilot Lt Cdr Stephen Collins, Call Sign Lothar The Fleet Air Arm 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
MoD_RSS British Ambassador to Turkeminstan's interview with Arzuw News MoD News 0