International Submariners Medal

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by skyvet, May 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In case you haven't heard, there's an International Submariners Medal available to anyone that has served in Submarines in any navy worldwide. Further details and ordering info on http://www.awardmedals.com

Regards,
    Sticky Hartley

2. Any submariners got this medal yet if so what is the general opinion . I like the idea but don't like the idea of any con job . IS IT OFFICIAL in any way .

3. Well I've ordered mine - us sundodgers have to take whatever we can get! As far as "official" goes, it's a commemorative medal, struck by what seems to be a reputable firm, to mark 100 years of submarining.

4. Cheers Skyvet, with that comment I'll follow it up ,

:thumright:

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

One born every minute, eh?

Don't forget to buy your genuine Arctic Service medal, for when you went under the ice not to mention the genuine NATO medal for that time when you did a NATO exercise. There's also, for our older viewers, a genuine National Service medal for those two years service to the crown.

Reputable company?

Or someone inventing medals to flog & make a fast buck out of?

6. Ninja don't forget you can also get one for being a Barclay Card holder!:pukel:
    RoofRat

7. As a 'commemorative' medal it is not subject to the Honours committee dictat (as interpreted by them), and should not be worn when in uniform, as it was probably not sanctioned by HMQ, and therefore will not be issued by the Medals Office.

Having said that, if you're entitled to the medal, go get it, it'll be something you can hand down or pass on to kids etc

:mrgreen:

8. oh dear , on the other hand

9. Ninja_Stoker

Anyone who has £37.50 + P&P is entitled to it mate, they ain't checking eligibility, that's for sure.

10. Got yours yet ? ^~

Bigbury Mint do a nice line in commem medals, get enough of them and someone can look like Mountbatten on parade. :thumright:

11. Ninja_Stoker

Too right, my aim is to outshine Idi Amin on the parade ground at Credders passing out parade.

:headbang:

12. Guess the only problem with buying these type of "commemorative" type medals is when you come up against a guy with a chest full of the real things - have to fall back on sea stories I suppose.

13. Surely there is already a submariners medal - your Dolphins - why do you need more than that.

14. I must admit in reality they are WALT labels, if you are actually entitled will you bother buying a medal like that.

15. Spot on,

Although I do have a Veterans badge as well.(Which makes me feel really ancient ) :(

16. Ninja_Stoker

Correct!

The sad fact is that these companies rely on conning people into thinking they are entitled to a medal.

If anyone thinks you are, contact the Veterans Agency, please don't be ripped-off by opportunist companies.

Real medals cost nothing but blood, sweat, tears, (usually by your family), sometimes bravery (by you) & often a sun-tan over and above the call of duty.

17. I am with most of you guys on this one. Why buy a medal? Its cheap and its tacky. My Dolphins are all I require to show my service in submarines .
    Too many companies are cashing in on this ''walt'' medal thing.Its bad enough seeing these guys on parade during November wearing completely toss medals ,without someone deciding to wear a ''submarine service medal'' .If I saw someone withone on his chest he would get a mouthful off me.

If you earned a medal, the queen would of given you one !!!!!

18. Ninja_Stoker

Agreed Deeps. We're all aware that because of the nature of the submarine service, medals are not always given to those that were there, but not in an official capacity.

To my mind, as you say, the Dolphins say it all & earn the respect of those that know.

19. 100% agreement on this one.

20. Agreed who the hell would be daft enough to spend £37.50 on a silly medal.
    When would you wear it and why?
    Fer gawds sake nearly as pathetic as the veterans medal!!
    Get a life fer gawds sake