Interesting web sites.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by janner, Aug 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Having been in touch with our very own Gerry Hatrick I found his web site very interesting, recommended for those with an interest in the '50 and '60's.

Gerry Hatrick
  2. Great link and a great journal, should be recommended reading for new entries.. :thumright:

Sad this sort of thing doesn't happen often:

"This was the Navy way of making sure that Naval Discipline had been satisfied and, at the same time, openly encouraging a sense of adventure and spirit"
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Steves going to be spending most of the night in the heads -- again!-
  4. Very good reading the time when we had a navy.
  5. What an intersesting read. Have you noticed how many Ex RO type wander the internet halls? Not many stokers :x :x :x

A good read recommend it to all!
  6. I've just spent a couple of hours reading the missive. At times nodding in agreement, or laughing like a drain. Also commenting, been there done that. A bloody good dit!

Semper Strenuisima
  7. Thank goodness some one else has spent some time there :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:
  8. What a brilliant read, thanks for posting the link!
  9. Cracking read. Read it from start to finish. Cheers for the link.
  10. Just picked this up and have read a small section, but, being past my sell by date at 0137, will read it through tomorrow. From what I've seen so far it will be a cracking read, and I'm looking forward to it.

11. Just finished reading it - great stuff! Excellent chuckle to start off my day!

Loved the Honkers dits - Chinese girls are a sailor's dream - sunken chests! They wear the Wonderbra and when you get to the dirty bit, you wonder where the tits went!

12. Although I have yet to finish reading the site I must say right away surely such a brilliant presentation of RN life should be put into book form . It qualifys for everything , introduction to the navy , history book including an excellent coverage of HMS Ganges , I could go on but PLEASE have this published that is if you haven't already started the press rolling . VG Sup with no hesitation BZ

:thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

Did my watch-keeping ticket on the Woo-Ha when she was based ' up North ' prior to her Malta stint . Only difference in the Kye recipe we brewed it with a steam drain .
  13. I never anticipated that my web site would be perused by my Pusser piers, but I’m pleased that you seem to have found it a worthwhile read.

Thank you Janner, and the rest of you for your kind comments both on here and in my Guest Book. They are all very much appreciated, and they make the effort so much more worthwhile.

And to those that have emailed with with some minor corrections, again my thanks and appreciation.

You are all very kind.

14. Just finished reading it. Thanks to Janner for posting a link and bigger thanks to Jerry for putting his story on the web. Brilliant
  15. Jerry are you having the ' book ' printed / published ?

16. Jerry/John

I've just finnished reading this and I must say BZ! The only down side is that it make's me lament the fact that I was born 25 years too late!And although I served in my own small way in a Navy which is in my view still the mutts nuts. Was also still a million miles away from what it should have - and should still be. You were a very lucky man.

I shall also support Hobbits suggestion and say get it printed!

Good on yer!

17. Hobbit,
    Thanks for your kind question, but I'm afraid that us old 'uns don't tend to sell our stories! Well, not unless we get a new suit first!

However, I have written the whole of the period from my birth in 1939 'till the time I left the Andrew in 1966. It now resides in PDF format on a CD ready to be handed on the the Grand children.

My excuse for creating the web site, is because I thought that it might have some passing interest to others who served during that period and, when you are retired, it also helps to pass the time.

Kindest regards,
  18. Jerry ,
    My suggestion to go to print was not as a commercial proposition but purely because of the books value to the RN , history and the public . In regard to money well the RNA and other pussers groups could well benefit from the proceeds for charity . One of my pet projects , if I had the cash , would be to move the ' Mast ' and ' Main Gates ' from HMS Ganges to HMS Raleigh where they would be safe and well maintained and also available to new recruits .
    Anyway , back to the book, first editions , leather bound , to your family , signed by the author of course . Then the RNA and ex Ganges get first bite of the good copies . Rave over but I repeat , it is a terrific record of so much of what 'was ' Pusser it is really priceless ' Hope you don't mind this additional comment .

19. Even for an outsider like me this makes interesting reading. Thanks.