Interesting Royal Marine traditions.

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by TurboThreaders, Apr 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. .

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  2. Roll mats must be rolled in a clockwise direction prior to engaging in naked mortal combat

Floral pattern housecoats are to be no shorter than 2 inches above the knee line

If I think of anymore I'll be beack, but meanwhile I'll get me coat

Bootneck, Bootneck can't catch me

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Long ago I heard a bootie rather sharply correct an officer (somewhat senior to me) who had asked the RM to remove his hat on entering the wardroom. What is chapter and verse for marines retaining their headgear when reporting to the wardroom?

4. Touching a green lid without first earning it led to enormous bad luck!!!

Or so I was told. I luckily never put it to the test!!!

5. I can't wait for the answer to this one.

6. I presume that senior officer used the correct RM executive order for headgear removal:

"Royal Marines (wait for it) ..........PITHS OFF!"

:wink: :twisted:

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Yep, The dark buttons on the Lovat suit are because of Nelsons Blood. Bless him for bleeding on a booty so we dont have to polish buttons.

The headdress in the wardroom would stem from bootys being on duty in days gone by and looking after the oiks in blue?

Some personal favourites of mine, absolutely no tradition attached to them but showing true bootneck initiative under adversity.

Clean, polished, dubbined but "dull" combat boots put out for inspection at Colly. Royal does this because snipers like shiny things, look what happened to Nelson.

Clean, unpressed combats part of the kit muster while on No9 Punishment. Royal does this because no bootneck has ever found a tree with straight edges.

8. wet_blobby

The Corps pattern belt.

According to an dodgy old DL, the blue is the sea, yellow the sand, green the land and red the blood.

Also 45 wear the capbadge over the ear as a sop to jock regiments, it's got nothing at all to do with trying to look ally.

Finally a question for Jimbo, is there a reason why the fella in military bands with the big drum wears a leopard skin?

9. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Because the whole Leopard would be too heavy.

10. I remember hearing something about African drummers in the commentary of a military ceremony once. I can't remember exactly what was said.

11. wet_blobby

Thinking about it I reckon it must be the bands duty "plums" rating that gets to wear it, that way he can walk around smelling pussy all day.

12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Or a tiger skin. HMS Tiger had one of these for her band (and two stuffed tiger's heads and other odd bits).

13. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Apparantly this pipe malarky is quite true and not exclusive to you booties. From what i understand, it's in Queens regulations that you can cut around with a pipe in uniform, but it must be lit. I'm not sure if this is a duty rumour but i was informed of this by a Sgt who was a pipe smoker.

14. wet_blobby

No, I've heard the same, however you have to be a tradesman.

15. Now that QRs no longer exist, (and I doubt that the AFA would allow pipe-smoking) this must be no longer the case, if it ever was.

16. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's a shame if it's gone to be honest. This bloke was a legend and couldn't give two hoots, and got away with it. As for a tradesman, he wasn't that. He was a Para so i wonder how he blagged it for so long.

17. wet_blobby

Ok, if we're going to get serious on the Corp pattern belt here's the official line I was given.

Blue. RN connection again.
    Yellow. Duke of York and Albany
    Red. Colour of RMLI Tunics.
    Blue. Colour of RMA Tunics.
    Green......Forgot that bit.

18. Genital infection?

19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

From Jimbo's own Corps website:

http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/reference/FS_CrestColours.htm

20. wet_blobby

No sir, only ever had penal warts. They dont leak and anyway I lost them inside some nice cornish lass once they'd had the acid treatment. (The one and only time I've been happy not to have had head before shagging.... :lol: ...)