Interesting Naval Fact

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by higthepig, Jan 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Happy New Year Higs.
    NZB

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

An interesting claim.

The current recruiting test, established and used since 1943, is not an intelligence test, but measures the individual's intellectual potential to complete phase two training.

Currently Aircraft Handler requires a slightly lower score than Seaman. Funny how things change over time, eh?

HNY, Higs. :thumright:

3. Since they lost the Air Traffic Branch?

4. And Royal of course is top of the heap......? Hope springs eternal!
    NZB

5. Lots of interesting reading their Higs. Thanks for sharing it.

6. I believe you could be right Higgy.... However putting a wheel spanner in the works, I see that in 1969...

'Article en Seaman Branch in NAVY NEWS'

And later, in 1970...

'Rum Ration abolished en 31 July'

Given the compiler's spelling mistake, it's quite possible he entered 'lowered' instead of 'raised' in his reference to entry intelligence tests. for Seamen. ;) :lol: Of course his error could be just down to him being an ex-Ossifer ;)

For the record, when I joined the RNXS I applied for the Seaman Branch (because I wanted to serve afloat rather than in a bunker) but was rejected and drafted instead to their Comms Branch. :( When I later tried my hand at seamanship in the MVS, I found it far harder (eg maths calculations when navigating without GPS) than expected and concluded that being an RO is easier. o_O Ergo: you need intellectual acumen to be a Seaman. :razz: