Interested in marine engineer submariner

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Matt676, Jan 13, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey I am interested in joining the military, have been for a few years and now want to go through with it. I work as a plumber and heating engineer out here, and fancy a change and hopefully a more technical job. Which I believe learning to be a marine engineer will offer this as they work on the nuclear reactors etc. I am also interested in being an aircraft engineer in the army, can any one offer any pros or cons for either choice?
  2. I can only speak for the ME(SM) world but you won't actually play with the reactor as such until you get to Senior Rate level although you will be involved with it, obviously.

To be honest, nuclear boats are hard work for the ME's as it's a saturated steam system that needs lots of maintenance and there aren't that many of you.

You'll close up in sea watches for test flashes (at least 2 days for a test flash) after a hectic maintenance programme whilst the rest of the ships company go home. When you shut down it's time to fix any emergent defects to get ready for sailing. You'll close up into sea watches at least 24 hours before sailing and still be there at least 12 hours after shutting down (assuming your not duty first night in).

If you want to go ME(SM) try and get to be Fwd Staff which is all the systems not involved with propulsion i.e. Steering and hydroplanes, HP air, hydraulics etc. best of both worlds but you will still have to qualify aft.
  3. oh the wrecks has jumped in (edited for form lol)

Ill leave this bit

... I recon if the reactor goes tits up your fcked"...
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. Just like being a Sonar Bender then!!
  5. We do the maintenance and repairs as ships staff, also using the nuclear repair facility staff (all uniform). For major work it's a combination of uniform and RR Engineers. Faslane and Devonport have resident RR engineers on site for advice and correct procedures.

I was fortunate when I was Primary EA (the electrical tiff who maintains the reactor protection systems, nucleonic detectors etc) as the Electrical RR Engineer drank in the same pub as me (still does actually). It was ships staff (me and others) who replaced duff or failing detectors etc.

When in refit or a docking period it's a combination of ships staff, Nuc repair and the dockyard, all overseen by RR (that's Rolls Royce if you hadn't guessed).
  6. Not quite, we were first on last off, not the other way round and repaired our own defects ;)
  7. Fck , hell of a job Wecks. I stand corrected .
  8. That's why, after 18 years back aft, I was happy to be a wrecker (fwd staff) for my last 12 :)
  9. Honestly you would be better off getting shot at as a sqadie than serving in boats. Hell you you would be better off being a plumbing and heating service tech than being on boats.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Apart from the significantly lower pay than submariners, Army Aircraft Engineers don't really have as much overseas travel opportunities and aircraft varieties to work on as their RN counterparts, the Air Engineering Technician (AET). I've seen a fair few RAF technicians transfer to the RN because of the limited scope they have when working on aircraft, but not seen any go the other way. (Doubtless some have, but comparatively few).
  11. I`ve read the post below and I agree with most of them. If you want to join the RN as a Marine Engineer then go back to night school and get some A levels and apply to join as an officer. If you join as an officer the most you`ll spend on one sea draft/appointment is 3 years(and thats rare to do that long), you`ll probably only do about 8 years sea time in A 22 year career, the rest of the time you`ll be doing office work/**** all. If you join as a rating then you will find that your definition of `hard work` will be completely altered. ME submariners work all the hours god sends when the boat is alongside and you`re the first ones on and the last ones off. You`ll spend very little time at home, weekends off being non existant as work never stops, your social life at home with your civvy mates will slowly dissapate to the occasional pint down the pub and then they`re off doing stuff you`re unable to do as you`ll be back at work in Plymouth/Faslane. I and most of the other people who post on this website joined the RN when we had a big(ish) navy( I left last year having only done 23 years) and there was time to do all the adventerous shit you see on the adverts. That navy is dead, there are fewer people serving, doing more work for less money with less time off for basic things like annual leave. One of my oppos is a CPOMEA(SM) and he left one of his boats still having TWO YEARS of basic leave untaken. Do yourself a favour matey and don`t join the RN, but if you must, join as an officer, earn more money, work less and have at least a possiblity of a decent job in civvy street when you leave. I know other people will see this and think I`m a twat, but the truth is that when the last round of redundencees(?) happened more ratings were made redundant than officers, despite the fact that the RN has more Admirals than ships/submarines combined. An organisation that shits on its workers and looks after the `chaps` is corrupt and at best poorly managed. Still your choice matey.
    PS being a heating engineer is more fun that scrubbing out the lower plates on a submarine.
  12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

The thing is Foz, most people join the navy to go to sea. It's only after a few years that they don't want to go back to sea. You'll find that there are a large number of engineer officers who are extrememly frustrated at the lack of seagoing appointments available to them.
  13. You`re very probaly right saying that they (ME officers) want to go back to sea, and whilst I know there is more work to do on a sea going vessel, ship or Submarine, the simply fact is ratings spend more time doing the work and missing out on weekends off and leave than officers do. I never served in submarines but I know plenty of people who have/do and the fact is all the hard work grinds the life and eagerness out of people, there is no work/life balance any more in the Service. That goes equally for General service and even (gulp) Fleet air arm. I joined the Service to go to sea, but not all the time, and get little time off when alongside at home or away.
  14. Matt

A few links for you.

If you haven't already rung 08456 07 55 55 to express an interest in joining, do so as soon as poss, as it is better to be waiting to join while on the books, so to speak.

Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering)(Submariner)|Royal Navy
  15. Not bitter then...
    • Like Like x 7
  16. Thanks the reason I was put off air engineer technician in the navy is last time I check it was like a 3 year waiting list is this the case? Also is the pay in submarines a lot more than army aircraft technicians even thought it offers quick promotion to Sargent due to them needing to sign work off.
  17. Any one know the current waiting list for AET in the navy?
  18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Shorter than the one for the RAF...
  19. They haven't got any :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1