Interested in joining...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ColinD1986, Sep 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi i have been looking around a few websites now, but i feel i havnt found much info on being a seamen, i know people will say go speak to the recrutment officer, but i was hoping to get a few words of wisdom from a few people who have been there and have had first hand experience, im interested in knowing the true up's and down's about serving... please help i really want to go for this but i just like to know what it is im letting myself in for...have always been one to look before you jump... cheers

2. Dont the AFCO have first hand experience, cant they tell you the ups and downs ?

3. Colin

Do you already have a particular role in the Royal Navy in mind?

4. not really no to be honest, im a plumber by trade so i dont know if that would help at all, i wouldnt mind doing something based on machines

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Colin,

If you're a time served plumbing apprentice, and you want to continue along those sort of lines you should consider joining as ET(ME). It seems to me to be a waste of training (as well as ability) if you didn't.

6. many thanks for you help, will look further into these jobs and speak to the local AFCO, cheers people

7. Hi Colin

The AFCOs all do weekly Initial Careers Presentations, at which they show DVDs about life in the Royal Navy and Training; it's also a chance to ask any questions you might have before having a one-to-one with a RN Careers Advisor. If you ring your nearest one, they will tell you on which day they do the Presentation. If it's not convenient, don't worry - you can simply make an appointment to go in at a time suitable for you for an individual meeting with the CA.

You can find the contact details for your nearest AFCO here:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/find-your-local-careers-office/

8. When your in as a marine engineer do you get put into one section such as the boilers and evaporators, or the engine room. Or is it more generalised and everyone rotates?

9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes, you'll rotate around the sections. Don't expect to see too many boilers and evaps though! :)