Interested in joining. (RMR Notts)

Discussion in 'RMR' started by Whiskey_60, May 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

New to these forums, i'm normally found on ARRSE.

I'm 20 years old, almost 21 and serving in the TA in an Infantry unit in South Yorkshire.

I've recently found myself wanting more from my Reserve forces career and that eventually led me into looking at the RMR, and more specifically the Nottingham Detachment. It's around about a 2+ hours bus, train and bus journey to get there, is it normal for some individuals to travel this sort of distance to get to their local RMR det?

Also, after enquiring I'm led to believe that I will need to discharge fully from the TA before being able to apply, have my medical and undertake selection from the RMR. Does anyone know any different to this, or know of any recruits that have done a slightly different process?

Thanks for taking the time out to read this,

W-60

2. Hullo Matey.
    A looooooooooooooong time ago i was in the TA, and decided it wasn't for me, so decided to go into the Navy Reserves instead. I enquired if I could just transfer accross, but sadly they wouldn't do that. I had to resign from the TA, hand back all my kit, and then re-apply for the RNR. I had to go through all the recruitment process again, get issued with a new number, and even go through basic training again. The only thing that did go in my favour was that my previous TA service counted towards my bounty.
    This was all around 15 years ago now, so the system may have changed and I stand to be corrected. I'm always of the opinion that the mindset of the higher echelons is "Why do it the easy way, when you could do it the MOD way"!
    As far as distance from the unit goes, I think that the unit will only pay your mileage up to a distance of 40 miles each way. Any additional mileage claims have to be submitted to your unit's CO and it's then at his/her discretion.
    However if the Nottingham RMR unit is the closest one to you, then I would think you have a good case to claim the additional mileage.
    Hope this helps?

3. Look here - http://www.navy-net.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=224936.html#224936

4. 2 1/2 hours is a long time travelling , there is a det in leeds is that not closer for you ??
    let me know , i am now away for the weekend but can pm you all the details re transfer from TA and put you in touch with some guys currently going through the process , its not as difficult as it used to be with JPA etc

push hard !! harder !! harder yet !!!!

5. Moose,

You are a legend sir!

I've found the postcode and it's only 1 hour away! I can't believe i never found that one sooner to be honest :whew:

Any information you can provide will be much appreciated.

W-60

6. W60, Im going on the London selection in Sept, and thats over an hour away for me, but im still going to go for it!

7. W60
    Check your PMs

good luck

8. Hello Moose,

PM's checked, all empty I'm afraid!

Do they normally take awhile to come through on RR?

W-60

9. Have also sent something to you.

Is there anything in your Inbox at the moment?

10. There is indeed, seems to have come through right away!

Edited to add:

I've got Soleil's but not yours yet Moose!

11. Sent again
    sometimes takes a while to come through

12. Not here yet, i'll keep checking!

Thanks again for the help lads.

W-60

13. WHISKEY 60
    Might be a problem with my account , if it dont land by tonight try pm me and ill check tommorow