Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interested in joining. (RMR Notts)

Hello all,

New to these forums, i'm normally found on ARRSE.

I'm 20 years old, almost 21 and serving in the TA in an Infantry unit in South Yorkshire.

I've recently found myself wanting more from my Reserve forces career and that eventually led me into looking at the RMR, and more specifically the Nottingham Detachment. It's around about a 2+ hours bus, train and bus journey to get there, is it normal for some individuals to travel this sort of distance to get to their local RMR det?

Also, after enquiring I'm led to believe that I will need to discharge fully from the TA before being able to apply, have my medical and undertake selection from the RMR. Does anyone know any different to this, or know of any recruits that have done a slightly different process?

Thanks for taking the time out to read this,

W-60

Tall_bloke

Lantern Swinger
Hullo Matey.
A looooooooooooooong time ago i was in the TA, and decided it wasn't for me, so decided to go into the Navy Reserves instead. I enquired if I could just transfer accross, but sadly they wouldn't do that. I had to resign from the TA, hand back all my kit, and then re-apply for the RNR. I had to go through all the recruitment process again, get issued with a new number, and even go through basic training again. The only thing that did go in my favour was that my previous TA service counted towards my bounty.
This was all around 15 years ago now, so the system may have changed and I stand to be corrected. I'm always of the opinion that the mindset of the higher echelons is "Why do it the easy way, when you could do it the MOD way"!
As far as distance from the unit goes, I think that the unit will only pay your mileage up to a distance of 40 miles each way. Any additional mileage claims have to be submitted to your unit's CO and it's then at his/her discretion.
However if the Nottingham RMR unit is the closest one to you, then I would think you have a good case to claim the additional mileage.
Hope this helps?

Ueshiba

Lantern Swinger
Whiskey_60 said:
Hello all,

New to these forums, i'm normally found on ARRSE.

I'm 20 years old, almost 21 and serving in the TA in an Infantry unit in South Yorkshire.

I've recently found myself wanting more from my Reserve forces career and that eventually led me into looking at the RMR, and more specifically the Nottingham Detachment. It's around about a 2+ hours bus, train and bus journey to get there, is it normal for some individuals to travel this sort of distance to get to their local RMR det?

Also, after enquiring I'm led to believe that I will need to discharge fully from the TA before being able to apply, have my medical and undertake selection from the RMR. Does anyone know any different to this, or know of any recruits that have done a slightly different process?

Thanks for taking the time out to read this,

W-60

Look here - http://www.navy-net.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=224936.html#224936

MOOSE

Lantern Swinger
2 1/2 hours is a long time travelling , there is a det in leeds is that not closer for you ??
let me know , i am now away for the weekend but can pm you all the details re transfer from TA and put you in touch with some guys currently going through the process , its not as difficult as it used to be with JPA etc

push hard !! harder !! harder yet !!!!

Moose,

You are a legend sir!

I've found the postcode and it's only 1 hour away! I can't believe i never found that one sooner to be honest :whew:

Any information you can provide will be much appreciated.

W-60

carl

Badgeman
W60, Im going on the London selection in Sept, and thats over an hour away for me, but im still going to go for it!

MOOSE

Lantern Swinger
WHISKEY 60
Might be a problem with my account , if it dont land by tonight try pm me and ill check tommorow

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AL86 Interested in joining RFA MM2/SG2 Apprentice RFA 16
E Ex squaddie interested in joining up... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J Interested in joining - Food Allergy Health & Fitness 8
L Interested in Joining - Warship Inspiration Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
C Interested in joining... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Hello I'm interested in joining RN but... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
T Son interested in joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T Interested in joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
D Interested in the Fleet Air Arm? The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS M25 Junction 10/A3 Wisley interchange improvement - People interested in the proposal can register to give their views MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Norfolk Boreas Power Station - People interested in the proposal can register to give their views MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Store First Limited – information for creditors, customers, investors and other interested parties. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Store First Limited – information for creditors, customers, investors and other interested parties. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Store First Limited – information for creditors, customers, investors and other interested parties. MoD News 0
N Interested in becoming Royal Marine Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
I Interested in becoming a Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Interested in my application? Joining the Royal Navy 24
D Would you be interested in becoming a Trustee and Volunteer for the Sea Cadets in your local area? Charity 1
P Interested parent Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Interested in marine engineer submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
C Still serving RAF SNCO interested in helping SCC SCC and URNU 17
S interested in RM... any medical examiners here ? The Corps 2
M I'm very interested in the FAA. The Fleet Air Arm 24
NotmeChief Service Pals - if anyones interested. Nearest & Dearest 0
S Anyone interested in these guides? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
CallumAS90 I'm interested in learning more about the FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T Telemark Skiing Champs - Anyone Interested? Sports and Adventure Training 0
T Telemark Skiing Champs - Anyone Interested? The Corps 4
creddly For Those Who Are Interested... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
finknottle Are you Interested Diamond Lil's 53
frayedknotarts New member with a gift for those interested: Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
D Anyone interested in buying a Laser dinghy? The Quarterdeck 4
P Joining during COVID-19 RFA 3
O Joining date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Course joining instructions Bases / Shore Est 7
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Joining up with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Joining with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Multiirishman Joining the Rfa RFA 18
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
Y Issue about Joining (Asperger's) Joining the Royal Navy 1
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Joining kit l Joining the Royal Navy 36