Inter service transfer

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
REME-chancer - you could try asking @Ninja_Stoker who used to frequent these threads. He was an AFCO bloke and while out the loop now, might have some info for you.

If he's lurking he'll get pinged from this post.

Drakey

War Hero
The vacancy list that you speak of (if one exists for the navy) would only be for those serving in the navy who would volunteer for specific jobs or those who have recently left the RN and wishing to return. I doubt you could apply for a navy position and just slot in without any naval experience.

Direct transfers do exist but can take a while to achieve it. You would more than likely have to start at the recruitment process and more than likely have to complete phase 1 training. It would depend on your skills and qualifications as to what exactly you would have to do. This would be decided by the branch manager.

As for vacancies in general. You can apply for most roles and just go through the process as long as the Army are prepared to let you transfer and the Navy want to take you.

Good luck.

REME-Chancer

Midshipman
Cheers Drakey, I've seen quite a few REME SNCO's have made the switch and jumped in at the equivalent rank and just done the basic naval an phase 2 training, this wouldn't bother me as obviously I would need it.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has made the switch, how did it go and looking back are they happy with the decision.

Chilliman90

Midshipman
Go via your Coc , RCMO
Cheers Drakey, I've seen quite a few REME SNCO's have made the switch and jumped in at the equivalent rank and just done the basic naval an phase 2 training, this wouldn't bother me as obviously I would need it.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has made the switch, how did it go and looking back are they happy with the decision.
speak with your coc / rcmo, only way to do it.
If your sgt more than likely you’ll get a waiver for ph1, and then off to ph2.

the process can take a while even know your already in the military.

making an application, selection interview, branch manager approval etc

edit : need to make sure your fitness is in date and your not downgraded on the system medically.

Last edited:

REME-Chancer

Midshipman
Roger appreciate all the advice. If there is anybody still serving who has replied already, what's the tempo currently like within the navy in terms of deployments, we are pretty much knee's to chest on the green side.