Intelligence Officer

Navicator

Hi,

I've been considering applying to the navy as a Warfare Intelligence Officer, but I have been told that a career as an IO is better suited in the RAF. Apparently, this is due to a large amount of naval intelligence being dealt with by reserves, which in turn affects career progression and general work.

Is this true?

Also, are the majority of naval intelligence personnel shore based or is there an opportunity to serve on surface ships and submarines?

Although my preference is the navy, I am willing to serve in the RAF should it be required.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

soleil

War Hero
Something which is worth taking on board is how closely the individual services work in conjunction with each other; an example of this is the fact that part of your training in this specific role would be at the Joint Intelligence Training Group at Chicksands; it's a reflection of how much of the Armed Forces world is now actually Tri-Service.

Can you say why the Warfare Intelligence Officer role appeals to you in particular?

I was wondering whether you had also considered Warfare Officer. You might like to look at that role too.

I think that it would be worth starting off an application for the role in the Royal Navy which appeals to you now, to be honest. If you decide it's not for you and you don't carry on. at least you will have made that decision from an informed position.

The best person to advise on this, to be honest, is the poster called Alfred_The_Great. He's very helpful, you could always send him a message if he doesn't spot this thread.

By the way, you might wish to look at brushing up your language skills while you are waiting to join.

Вы говорите по-русски?

Navicator

Hi Sol,

I think the main appeal of the role is the perceived diversity and importance of the work. The idea of handling and interpreting constantly evolving information is very interesting to me.

I have looked into and considered the Warfare Officer role, but I feel that an intelligence role is a better fit.

Thanks.

You'll work at sea, but nowhere near as much as a Warfare Officer.

N2 used to be done a lot by reservists, but it's now firmly a regular job.

A lot of an Intelligence Officer's role is reading (a lot) and synthesising all that you've read, to produce a useful product.

Most importantly, there is a defined career structure and training processes in place.

Good luck.

Navicator

You'll work at sea, but nowhere near as much as a Warfare Officer.

N2 used to be done a lot by reservists, but it's now firmly a regular job.

A lot of an Intelligence Officer's role is reading (a lot) and synthesising all that you've read, to produce a useful product.

Most importantly, there is a defined career structure and training processes in place.

Good luck.
Thanks for getting back to me, you've been really helpful. I'm going to start my application with the Royal Navy tomorrow.