Intake standards

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Gombear, Mar 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I joined Raleigh in the 70s, our class was in Benbow Division, and the instructor was a PO Greenie.

We were told that he was really good and his class always won the cake for the best mess after Rounds. Untill.....along came the class that I was in. Not only did we never win the cake, we actually got a re-scrub. I felt sorry for the PO, who was a good hand, as it happened.

It transpired that our intake was one of the poorest quality that they had had for some time. Er, Myself excluded of course. :oops:

I’m sure the standard of today’s recruits is much higher. Isn’t it. 8O
  2. I was in Bembow (85) we had a PO Stoker, no, standards never got any better.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

When I joined, 29 years back, we were told the Navy had changed, the standard of recruit was crap, the mob was no fun anymore & foreign visits were few & far between.

Personbally I see it as a success that we've maintained these same standards consistantly over the last century. I've actually got my Great Grandads' Service Certificate from 1896 & it seems he went to Detention Quarters too.
  4. DQs must have been a real bastard in those days.
  5. When I enlist it's going to get a whole lot fecking worse.
  6. I admire your honesty.

This sounds alot like my year at secondary school and college; a huge bunch of let downs and ruined expectations. Standards of young people have dropped everywhere.

My Law tutor was on a rant the last time I saw her about how a student of hers (GCSE A student) had no idea what the word budget meant, not just in terms of the law passed through Parliament every year but just what a budget is in simple terms; as well as ranting on about the general lowering of concentration, communication skills and confidence of her new students.
  7. My intake was awesome. The intake after me joined Collingwood with a letter of apology from the Commodore at Raleigh, explaining why they were so gash.

Gen dit.
  8. My intake joins on Sunday. I'll let you know in due course.

Edited for gash spelling.
  9. Mmmmm, she surely had justification for her rant, eh? :roll:
  10. Standards? What are those when they're at home? :D
  11. Nice spot, edited for your happiness.

I'll also not be a fool in the way your sig suggests.
  12. To add: The example I gave is a pretty rubbish one, the only one I remember her giving me. I admittedly have only been through the education system once and can't comment with any real authority on standards rising or lowering. My impression (as is many of my ex teachers/tutors) is one of lowering standards of common sense, general knowledge and behaviour.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The funny thing is that the people who complain about how much standards have dropped are from the very same generation that has let the standard slip.

When have you ever heard anyone say it's harder than it was?
  14. How very true is all of that
  15. Thought provoking statement, and very true in many circumstances.

However I worked my a**e off at GCSEs and A levels; my peer's failings were because they were lazy buggers!

I can't comment on whose fault declining standards in the military or RN are, if indeed they really have?
  16. It's a generation thing IMO, my old man said I had it easy when I joined up, I said the same to my son when he joined up and when I told him the standards at Raleigh when I joined there as Ships Company he said they had it easy compared to him....and so it goes on and on and on......
  17. Much like the: "I only got a tangarine for christmas when I was a lad and you kids get all these Playtendo mobile email internets" type of conversations.
  18. To buck the trend.....

I remeber Lt Col Howes RM (Now CGRM) as the CO of 42 Cdo when we got back from Telic one telling us all how proud he was, his exact words were "New men, old standards".

There's a very interesting article in this months soldier magazine called Generation Hoodie.

I would argue that the 2 GC winners would think standards haven't slipped and a mate of mine who got an MC on Telic one was laughing about it saying lads do it every day in Ghanners and he got an MC for it, I would think that would fall into the harder nowadays bracket..

Just saying.....
  19. Are you talking about the same thing? Performance in the field rather than general personal standards perhaps?
  20. So standards are steadily degrading then...