Insurance claim?

A few weeks ago whilst walking across a Zebra with the lights on green[in fact there were three others in front of me] a car slammed into me with two women driving.
it knocked me over but I got up and got to the window and ripped the silly twats off telling them I could sue their arses off if I wanted.
I wasn't hurt so I let it ride,after while I felt a bit dizzy so I toddled off to the boozer for a straightener where my oppo told me I should report it as I may have internal damage or whatever.
I went to the Local Nick and said I'm Ok but I'm reporting it.
The PC said that the cameras covering that crossing were switched off so I said to leave it.
In the last two weeks I've had 6 phone calls from accident chasers telling me to claim or lose from my accident.
My point is I only told the local nick so who passed on the info to these twats?
Is it the Police,is it civilian staff is it Legal?
No wonder my car insurance is rising every year,there's something wrong here I reckon probably replicated all over the country.Any Ideas?

Ive had calls a couple of years back and hadnt had a accident.

Could have been calling on the off chance?, it was vague asking Qs but not giving any info.

I'm a little disturbed that there were two women driving it.
The way they were talking it would be two women driving it! Also I received a message on my mobile this morning telling me to claim.
Point is that is my personal phone not the business one and only 3 people have that number,me,wife and one son in the States so how did they get that?
I find it strange particularly as the voices were foreign but that means nothing nowadays I suppose.

This is probably the scam involving someone making a cold call at random and referring to 'an accident' you or a member of your household has had within the past three years. I've received several myself and can see how they would sometimes pay off.

However, some calls can be the result of an insurance referral which can be equally distasteful (apart from indirectly adding to our insurance premiums because of the number of fake claims it encourages). It seems that some insurance companies are making more money from referrals to lawyers about accidents than they make from their customers' premiums. I know where I'd like my insurance company's priorities to lie, i.e. settling any bona fide claim I might make, not selling my details to 'ambulance chasers':
BBC News 6 Jul 2011 said:
Amid the recent publicity about legal referral fees relating to car insurance claims, there has been more heat than light. Critics of the practice, such as Jack Straw MP, have described it as a "racket" and a "dirty little secret". In theory it should be neither. The referrals system is essentially another way for law firms to market their services. But it remains intensely controversial, and the government has pledged to reform it.

How does the system work?

The principle is simple - a law firm agrees to pay a fee in return for being passed the contact details of someone who might be interested in their services. The deals are usually between lawyers and insurance companies, but estate agents and trade unions often refer their customers onto law firms too. Law firms will pay up to several hundred pounds when someone who has been referred to them goes on to engage their services. With sums like this involved, it is not surprising a whole industry has sprung up around it. There are now claims-management companies who act as middlemen, buying contact details and then selling them on to law firms...

Cold calling

Many people object to being contacted, apparently out of the blue, by lawyers or claims managers touting for business. If they have recently been involved in an accident, these approaches will often be particularly unwelcome. The practice has led some to accuse the law firms who buy contact details from insurance companies of "ambulance chasing". Selling personal details without a customer's permission is in fact illegal under the Data Protection Act...

An insurer who wants to pass a client's details onto a law firm must say upfront they have such an arrangement in place, and give the client the option to opt out. Few of us realise when we buy insurance that such an agreement is often buried in the policy's terms and conditions. By agreeing to them, we are also consenting to the insurer passing on our details in the event of an accident. But a few unscrupulous claims-management companies have been caught cold calling and texting consumers when no such agreement is in place. This is a clear breach of the Data Protection Act rules...

Last edited:

Rigsby

Lantern Swinger
FYI - If you sign up to the telephone preference service then that should sort things out for you - only covers EU countries though......

I get texts saying the same kind of thing - I expect your actual accident and the calls may well not even be related. Then again, they might be.

Putting my Mr Picky head on, are you sure it wasn't a Pelican rather than a Zebra if it had lights?