Instructors v Training Managers

I'm not aware of an Engineering Degree being a requirement. I certainly worked for one schoolie who's degree was arts rather than sciences.

ETA: ..and he was of such a vintage that Mrs T sent him to war.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of an Engineering Degree being a requirement. I certainly worked for one schoolie who's degree was arts rather than sciences.
Hi thanks for that. I know you don’t need an engineering degree now. I’m a Training Manager myself. I’m writing an assignment for my PGDp at the moment and I have been struggling to find the info I wanted. I thought there might be people on here old enough to remember. I wanted to know Instructing Officers became Training Manager (apparently 1996), when the degree requirement changed (away from just engineering) and if everyone just transferred automatically.

Thanks again for your help

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi thanks for that. I know you don’t need an engineering degree now. I’m a Training Manager myself. I’m writing an assignment for my PGDp at the moment and I have been struggling to find the info I wanted. I thought there might be people on here old enough to remember. I wanted to know Instructing Officers became Training Manager (apparently 1996), when the degree requirement changed (away from just engineering) and if everyone just transferred automatically.

Thanks again for your help
It was circa 96, after Adm Layard made an not unwholly personally skewed decision to bin the Instructor Branch. In the aftermath it was agreed that they couldn't just make redundant approx 600 people and there were functions that needed to be carried on. So, they formed the E(Training Managers) and E(Information Systems) largely with a view that the platform derived branches (that being the crux of the argument used to kill the Instructors) would then develop the SQEP to have their own people act as hybrids, which had some merit. Except... no-one really thought about what it meant when you factor in gapping and then telling people they're going to have to broaden their skills and instruct, develop courses, get in IT etc and pretty soon the idea of "withering on the vine" for both specs was rubbished and they started to thrive again but in a more constrained manner. That was probably a key win because in truth the Instructors has become a form of bind weed - any gaps they'd fill it and start covering that, Int, Met, HM, IT, TD/QA, MW you name it and their was a skooly involved so much so the branch had lost focus.

Last edited:

Seadog

War Hero
Mid nineties I knew a Bootneck Corporal who had gone outside, smashed out an engineering degree and joined the RN as an Instructor.

So he told me every chuffing day.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mid nineties I knew a Bootneck Corporal who had gone outside, smashed out an engineering degree and joined the RN as an Instructor.

So he told me every chuffing day.
That doesn't ring a bell and thats my vintage? Now there was J-McQ, but I don't think he was a Bootie SNCO, I thought he was a rubber dagger?

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
That doesn't ring a bell and thats my vintage? Now there was J-McQ, but I don't think he was a Bootie SNCO, I thought he was a rubber dagger?
Don't think so. Navigator, worked in Corps Environment, where his advanced skills were very useful. I see him every now and again, I'll ask next time.

Sorry @sea_vixen to take so long to reply.

What @wave_dodger said. The IO Branch Last Dinner was at COLLINGWOOD in 1996. The problem of losing the branch (around 700 Offs at end of 80s) was that someone had to do the jobs. The Droggies took METOCs, and then the choice was either the other Branches took the jobs or the job was got rid of. This did not happen.

This left an irreducible rump of jobs that could go neither way. If new Officers were recruited then the concept of 'withering on the Branch' had failed. And so it did, as early in 1998, the first recruiting req for ETMs (about 8) appeared. And the rest is history.

When I joined, you were supposed to have Maths to about First Year University Level, and a small number of International Relations Grads were taken on to populate the Political Commissar (sorry DPS) billets at SULTAN and COLLINGRAD. As many of these ended up teaching Maths and Measurements to Baby Tiffys, much burning of midnight oil was required. Hence the requirement for the Schoolie to keep at least one page ahead of the students in the ISPEC.

Scattering chaff to protect my PERSEC here - this was all way before my time - I just asked someone even older in the office down the corridor. I was one of the first ETMs (pureblood, not those mudblood failed Aircrew/Engineer types LOL)...

I did train an ex bootneck SNCO ETM on ETMFC - can't remember his name or whether he's still in. Think he was ex PTI. Green hat TMS tended to gravitate back West.

You need any more PgDip stuff PM me. I was the first to graduate with that Adqual (Merit, you know).

Trainer

Latest Threads