Instructors v Training Managers

sea_vixen

Midshipman
Thank you @scabz , really appreciated.

Did everyone just transfer across automatically?

Does anyone know when you stopped needing an engineering degree?

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
I'm not aware of an Engineering Degree being a requirement. I certainly worked for one schoolie who's degree was arts rather than sciences.

ETA: ..and he was of such a vintage that Mrs T sent him to war.

Last edited:

sea_vixen

Midshipman
I'm not aware of an Engineering Degree being a requirement. I certainly worked for one schoolie who's degree was arts rather than sciences.

Hi thanks for that. I know you don’t need an engineering degree now. I’m a Training Manager myself. I’m writing an assignment for my PGDp at the moment and I have been struggling to find the info I wanted. I thought there might be people on here old enough to remember. I wanted to know Instructing Officers became Training Manager (apparently 1996), when the degree requirement changed (away from just engineering) and if everyone just transferred automatically.

Thanks again for your help

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi thanks for that. I know you don’t need an engineering degree now. I’m a Training Manager myself. I’m writing an assignment for my PGDp at the moment and I have been struggling to find the info I wanted. I thought there might be people on here old enough to remember. I wanted to know Instructing Officers became Training Manager (apparently 1996), when the degree requirement changed (away from just engineering) and if everyone just transferred automatically.

Thanks again for your help

It was circa 96, after Adm Layard made an not unwholly personally skewed decision to bin the Instructor Branch. In the aftermath it was agreed that they couldn't just make redundant approx 600 people and there were functions that needed to be carried on. So, they formed the E(Training Managers) and E(Information Systems) largely with a view that the platform derived branches (that being the crux of the argument used to kill the Instructors) would then develop the SQEP to have their own people act as hybrids, which had some merit. Except... no-one really thought about what it meant when you factor in gapping and then telling people they're going to have to broaden their skills and instruct, develop courses, get in IT etc and pretty soon the idea of "withering on the vine" for both specs was rubbished and they started to thrive again but in a more constrained manner. That was probably a key win because in truth the Instructors has become a form of bind weed - any gaps they'd fill it and start covering that, Int, Met, HM, IT, TD/QA, MW you name it and their was a skooly involved so much so the branch had lost focus.

Last edited:

Latest Threads