Injuries...don't be an idiot like me!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Gollum, Apr 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some may recall my last post regarding possible shin splints, well I'm pleased to say that thankfully that wasn't the case, but I have done some damage to my calf muscle. Like an idiot and keen to keep training, I loaded up on ibuprofen and only gave myself a weeks worth of rest and non impact training......big mistake!! Now I'm sitting here 2 months later, waiting to go and see the physio for the first time.

I guess what I'm trying to say (especially to the guys just starting training) is that if you get an injury, stop at once and go see the doc. Now this may be blindingly bloody obvious, but if you're like me you'll want to crack on as soon as possible.

If I hadn't been an idiot and given myself enough time to recover, I could have been back running weeks ago, instead of sitting here worrying if I'll be fit enough in time for my pjft!!!

Gollum

2. A self confessed idiot? Now theres a thing.

Seriously though - I sympathise with you mate. My pins are totally [email protected] too because of excessive training in my slightly younger days.

Hope you get on the road to quick recovery once the physio routine gets going.

SF

3. keep smiling babe--- and best of luck :wink:

4. I knew there was a reason I sticked to beer and pies on my sofa!

Get well soon mate..

5. At last,a patient that sees sense!

6. I can really relate, and my sympathy to you. If your anything like myself (a hopeles exercise addict), it must be killing you not being able to train.
    I've been in your situation more times than I care to remember (including now - Knee is f****d), and I'm literally dying to go for a run. I do at least 20 miles a week - fast, not including other stuff,and find that no other form of exercise can get my HR as high as running, and now I'm panicking at the thought of my fitness levels lagging because I cant run.
    'kin injuries; - THEY REALLY GRIPS MY S**T!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably unlike you though; I'm reluctant to go see a Doc because I worry about what may go on record, and how it may prejudice my job opportunity's in the future. So usually, I too am guilty of self medicating and just taking plenty of rest :roll:

7. In my teens and twenties I used to do cross country running, an awful lot of it.A wise doctor in the Navy told me that in years to come it would all come back to haunt me..
    Gues what? He was right; umpteen operations on my knees later my running days are over.
    I still get plenty of exercise and my waist size is the same as it was then, but I take it easy and have done for years.
    Moral of the story must be to take it easy on yourself.
    Shipboard life is not that physically demanding, often the opposite, the necessary physical requirements are not that strenous so don't over do it.
    Thinking back I don't remember ever doing any kind of fitness testing after leaving Raleigh/Mercury.

8. Well just got back from the physio and it's not good. Told me that my feet are slightly flat which was a bit of a shock and so now I have to wait and see a podiatrist to get some insoles made. My lower back also hurt whilst running and the Doctor said it's all related. Now the really crappy bit......he showed me some exercises and told me what to do when I get the insoles and how frequently to wear them etc etc and then said 'I'll see you in 3 months by which time you should be able to walk and run at 1 minute intervals'!!! It could be 4-5 months before I'm back running at full speed, which means I'll miss the September diving acquaint and possibly entry in to the Mob as a diver, as I've been told they're only taking people in to December!!!

Gonna speak to the careers office and see what they can do for me.

I'll keep you posted.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello mate, bad news about the injuries, but don't lose heart.

Speak with your Doc & check you're OK to carry on swimming- that should keep your CV fitness up. (Plus the fact you need to do a 1Km open water swim for PEDA).

With regard being "Fit for Entry" into Naval Services, you need to be fully discharged from any medical care-hospital outpatients included & to have completed any physio, together with being free from any medication.

10. Just spoken with the careers office and they were really helpful, saying that they will slow the process down for me until I can get my fitness back up. With regards to the acquaint there's another one in November, so fingers crossed if I can't get on the September course, I'll be on that one.

11. Good advice there Gollum. I have flat feet too- it's funny how you have to get injured before you know these things. The insoles will make a difference, but don't forget your own advice as you start to feel better!