Initial Training

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the Royal Navy's initial training. I've looked on the RN site and found this advice for the joining process prior to the ten-week initial training that takes place at HMS Raleigh. Can anyone tell me how long this has been the process for? Has it changed much over the past 10/20/30 years? Has the initial training itself changed much? I was wondering, because we seem to have so much paperwork and bureaucracy to go through now, yet to hear the stories of my dad and granddad's generation they made it sound like you could almost just show up in some cases (which I'm sure is an exaggeration but that's why I'm asking).

Thank you in advance.

It is fair to say that Initial Training today is different in many respects to when I joined in 1964. The main area where it has changed seems to be the level of fitness that has to be demonstrated before you even get to the training establishment and then ongoing once you have enlisted. Rather than step changes I expect it has been a slow evolution to meet the changing requirements of the RN over time. A few things such as parade ground training and kit care will be much the same now as fifty years ago. I have forgotten all the hoops I jumped through before joining and I expect your Dad and Granddad have too. It was easier in my time but there was still bureaucracy to deal with before they sent you the travel warrant and joining instructions.

Thank you both! Yeah, I thought it might not be as simple as 'show up, get recruited'. And I guess that's a good thing that a certain level of fitness has to be demonstrated before you even get to a training establishment, cuts down on recruitment wastage/makes people more inclined to drop out beforehand if they're only half-hearted about joining up in the first place when they realise the work they'll have to do?

And I guess that's a good thing that a certain level of fitness has to be demonstrated before you even get to a training establishment, cuts down on recruitment wastage/makes people more inclined to drop out beforehand if they're only half-hearted about joining up in the first place when they realise the work they'll have to do?
You wouldn't think that with some of the posts on here!
'Do I need to......?'
'Can I get away with.....?'
'Do I get free socks......?'

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MenInSlacks Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
N Joining the Royal Navy 0
EightSixteen RFA 5