Initial Careers Presentation, what to expect?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dirtyweeally, Apr 23, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

So I have an ICP on the 14th May and is want to know what to expect to happen that day?
    Also, what kind of cloths should I wear?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. Smart casual will do, or if you're wearing cloths, J type are very good ;)

• Like Like x 3
  3. I was thinking smart casual but wasn't sure, thanks! :)
    Do you know what happens at them? It is just a presentation and filling out a application?

4. No idea on that front I'm afraid.

5. When I had my ICP there were about ten of us and we just watched some video clips and things. We did a Q and A session afterwards and then got forms if we still wanted to apply. :) Definitely go smart casual, I wore trousers with a shirt and a tweed blazer and brogues. I looked like something out of a Mumford and Sons video but everyone was dressed the same!

6. Ok, thanks, I was thinking that it was going to be something like that! :)

7. Definitely smart casual, but on the smarter side in my opinion... I wore a shirt, trousers and shoes and got mistaken for an officer applicant. Rather that than be mistaken for being lost ;) It astounded me the amount of people who turned up in t-shirts, jeans and trainers and sat next to a "no mobile phones" sign playing around with a phone and even taking calls.. First impressions count, you want to join a disciplined organisation, why not start properly from the very beginning?

Mine lasted a couple of hours the other week. Was basically presented by a RM WO2, telling us all about life in the Naval Service, we watched a 30 min video covering all the different sections of the Naval Service, RM and RFA included and then spoke about the different requirements for different jobs with regards to fitness and age, qualifications etc. We then had Q & A and were given info packs which includes the all important application form. I then managed to blag a 1-2-1 chat with an Engineering officer who I'd met before at a careers event who was extremely helpful. She even got me a goody bag ;)