Inhalers and joining

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Bullens, Nov 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

A few months ago I had a chest infection - nothing serious, it cleared up after a few days.

However, I was prescribed an inhaler.

Is this likely to lead to me failing a medical to join the RN?

Would be gutted if it did, didn't even need to use it.

2. Why did they prescribe an inhaler?I presume it was something like Ventolin?

3. Not too well up on the medical terms I'm afraid.

I was short of breath for a few days so they gave me the "blue" inhaler commonly prescribed to asthmatics (I don't have asthma).

4. Thats Ventolin,a broncho dilator.I dont think its a problem as you dont have asthma.Must have been a humdinger of a chest infection!Cant see it being a bar to your joining up process.

5. Thanks alot for the reply, fingers crossed then :)

When I went in for them to have a look it was a bit hard to get my breath, but by the time I was home I was back to normal.

6. I shouldnt worry about it.Youll be fine.Good luck anyway shippers.

7. yeah sounds like you had a chest infection mate. G.P's give inhalers out like sweeties to get people out of the door! Wouldn't trust them to diagnose properly to save their lives!! get yourself a flu jab to stop the nasties returning!!

8. I had the same thing, I knew it was a chest infection I get enough of them! but I came home with 2 inhalers! after a month suprise suprise I still had my chest infection - got some anti biootics and it was gone in 4 days! ...............maybe the drug companys give them money to 'sell' them nothing would surprise me

9. I wouldn't worry, as long as you tell them it was a chest infection. I was a little worried about the inhaler thing too, but i know deep down i haven't had asthma ever- just hayfever induced wheeziness. The medical test doctor only asked anyway, they don't seem to check up on anything.

10. Salient points:

Asthma is a disease characterised by reversible bronchoconstriction. If you are getting wheezy after exposure to a trigger factor, including pollen then it is a distinct possibility you might have asthma.

Asthma kills 1400 young people in the UK every year so should not be taken lightly.

Failure to disclose medical conditions which subsequently come to light may result in a) being run & b) not having any insurance if you take ill as a result of the aforementioned condition while away...

If I may quote from the DoH guidance?

APN

11. Asthma certainly is a killer- a concept not helped by doctors doling out inhalers at the first sign of a cough.

12. As there is a considerable social stigma associated with 'asthma' I think most doctors would find it hard to justify giving out inhalers unless there were good clinical grounds.

APN

13. As I understand it, there are quite a few asthmatics in the Service... they're just not allowed to have had it before they joined. Apparently, quite a lot of people 'mysteriously' develop it once they're in. I've heard it referred to by the scab-lifters as asthmatics anonymous.
    Is this true?

14. Wouldn't surprise me.

As you say, it used to be a bar to entry (as I don't do entry medicals I can't remember if this is still the case) but it's a hard diagnosis to make in a medical - usually need peak flow diary/evidence of triggers etc. so it would be relatively easy to 'develop' it after joining.

(Might be a bit obvious if they take a big asthma attack while doing the 2.4km run or turn up at Raleigh/BRNC with a bag of inhalers though)

APN

15. 5. In addition, NHS employers should offer immunisation to employees directly involved in patient care, and social care employers should consider similar action for staff in nursing and care homes who look after older people. Influenza immunisation of staff can reduce the likelihood of transmission of influenza to vulnerable patients

Thanks for that, wasn't aware of the age remit as i had mine done as per section 5 highlighted above.

16. I do think it's quite interesting that YOIs, prisons & university halls are excluded - I can remember from being a student how (especially in the New Year) chest infections spread like wildfire in halls.

Must go & get my section 5 vaccination.

APN

17. Yeah. I had a terrible chest infection when i was in my first year of university, took some echinasia extract to clear my chest. Worked a treat!! yes i would get your jab done, i've had nothing but old dears with chest infections at work of late.

18. It did indeed used to be a Bar to entry also grounds for Medical Discharge.it looks like times have changed.As to the Gp doling out inhalers,they were most likely doing it to get their GMS Contract points,they currently stand at well over £125 each!!!

19. I know it's not the best system the world has ever seen (ahem) but I would have thought it was robust enough not to reward them financially for dishing out inhalers to non-asthmatics.

APN

20. Having previously 'had' asthma isn't a bar to entry anymore. You should be symptom free for 5 years i think, and haven't had any inhalers prescribed, whether used or not.