Ingrown toenail

My son is 16 and has just started the process to become a WE Submariner. He had his NSRT today and passed. He will have his medical soon but he's just asked me if his ingrown toenail will make him fail. I didn't even know he had one! He said its been like it for ages but he's not mentioned it because it doesn't hurt! It just looks a bit red, I can't see any sign of infection. Will this stop him getting in? I'll take him private to get it removed if I have to. It seems a bit extreme when it's not bothering him though! He said he had it once before and it just went away.
Thanks!

Waspie

War Hero
You'll need to talk to qualified medical staff and his AFCO, (Recruiting Office).
No-one on here is qualified to answer your question.

soleil

War Hero
My son is 16 and has just started the process to become a WE Submariner. He had his NSRT today and passed. He will have his medical soon but he's just asked me if his ingrown toenail will make him fail. I didn't even know he had one! He said its been like it for ages but he's not mentioned it because it doesn't hurt! It just looks a bit red, I can't see any sign of infection. Will this stop him getting in? I'll take him private to get it removed if I have to. It seems a bit extreme when it's not bothering him though! He said he had it once before and it just went away.
Thanks!

Yorkshiredeb

I've had a look for previous threads with similar questions and have found two which are relevant.

I would recommend that you read what AngryDoc and Ninja_Stoker say in the threads. AngryDoc is currently serving as a Medical Officer in the Royal Navy (so is a qualified Doctor) and Ninja_Stoker has years of experience as a Royal Navy Careers Advisor in an AFCO.

What I would recommend is that you send an e-mail to the AFCO at which your son has done his RT, explaining your worry. You can follow this up with a phone call if you haven't heard from them by lunchtime.

It looks to me from what has been said by AngryDoc and Ninja_Stoker that this is a situation which is manageable. It may be that a visit to the GP for advice and perhaps further action (instead of making what might be unnecessary private arrangements) is all that is required.

Send an e-mail to the AFCO this evening and then follow it up with a phone call tomorrow, if you don't hear from them. Once they have given you the OK, you can contact the GP for further help.

Something which will be very relevant while training will be the ability to run without any impediment, so it might well be for the best that this has come to light now.

Get in touch with the AFCO and then, if they say it's fine, with your son's GP.

Details for the AFCOs are here:

Brilliant, thank you for this. He goes running and to the gym every day as he is trying to get as fit as possible for the fitness test. He said it doesn't make a difference to his toe and it doesn't hurt at all. I'll ring the office tomorrow and see what they say.
Thanks again