Informing of two crossing the bar

Hello everyone , firstly hope this is acceptable and in the right place. I would like to inform the royal navy community of two ex-RN members who has crossed the bar.

1st. My father good friend "Peter Leslie Wyatt, who cross the bar on 26th Dec 2016, aged 80.

Peter joined Her Majesty’s Royal Navy at HMS St. Vincent in Gosport as a boy seaman at the age of 15. The Royal Navy showed him the world by sea for nine years. Many friends made during these times include his shipmates at the Royal Naval College of HMS St. Vincent in Gosport (1953-1953), HMNB Devonport (1953-1961), HMS Indefatigable (1954-1954), HMS Veryan Bay (1954-1955), HMS Osprey (1956-1956), HMS Adamant (1956-1957), HMS Termagant (1956-1957), HMS Tenby (1957-1959), HMS Vernon (1959-1959), HMS St. Bride’s Bay (1959-1961), and HMS Terror (1961-1961). Peter was a proficient sonar operator and enjoyed many exotic postings including the Caribbean Sea, North Sea, Antarctic Ocean, South China Sea and Mediterranean.

2nd one is actually my actual father " Brian Cornelius Kelly" or known as "Spider Kelly" within RN people. (He Advised me just a week before his passing, that he got his nickname "spider", due to how he got into many small corners / how he climb.) He crossed the bar on 10th dec aged 80. Due to legal reasons, only about a week ago the body was released for the funeral. This was because of the sudden nature of his death. The Funeral will be taking place on 9th Feb and ashes taken to sea at a later date as it was his wishes.

Unfortunely, at this moment of time, I do not have access to his royal navy service records. The cause of that, is my mother who knew where it was kept, had at same time a bleed on brain, which resulted in blood filling up between the space between the skull and brain, that A&E missed when she fell few weeks before. An emergency operation had to be perform to remove excess blood that was pushing on brain. she now recoverying and in fact surpassing what medical experts expected her to be able to do and will be able to. Attend the funeral. Unfortunely, on memory side, can say simpler there lot of confusion :( so when she comes out of hostipal will have to request the service records :(

So only thing I can do at the moment is give a summary unlike his friend :(

He joined the Royal Navy for 12/15 years as engineer apprentice at Portsmouth college in 1954. During this time period, he embarked / got commission on many ships, these were; submarines (nuclear & diesels powered), destroyers, and frigates (trying to find the list of the ships before the funeral on 9th Feb but looking likely will not happen). This took him to all 7 seas of the world, where he got the bug to explore the world, which he did in civilian life with civil aviation.

His passion for water still attracted him with narrow boats to cruises (wanted to retire on boat but mum said no). I myself travelled with him to many countries whilst he helped build many international airports and or electrical Infrastructure, but yet his heart has always been in wales where he was born. As they say you can always take him out of wales, but one can not take wales out of him. He was a big sports fan especially Rugby which in his earlier life he played, and loved cars.

Well anyway sorry to give these two bad news :(
NB: I know a long shot but if anyone remember my father during his royal navy years I would love to hear from you, esp the famous parrot that swore / insult a lot on one ship he was on :)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Condolences. On the part of your Fathers nickname, everyone in the RN whose surname is Kelly is called "Spider".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Great Yarmouth Third River Crossing project granted development consent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Near miss at Worlingham user worked crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lake Lothing Third Crossing granted development consent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next phase of Lower Thames Crossing consultation begins MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Annual accounts for the Dartford Thurrock Crossing and Severn River Crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Map the Gap: autonomous gap crossing survey MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 16/2019: Near miss between a passenger train and lorry at Mucking AHB level crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Near miss at Norwich Road level crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of "Crossing Points" MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 13/2019: Fatal accident at Tibberton No. 8 footpath crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 11/2019: Serious operational irregularity at Bagillt user worked crossing MoD News 0
NotNickCarter Crossing the Line The Book Club 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Great Yarmouth Third River Crossing application MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Near miss between a lorry and passenger train at Mucking level crossing MoD News 0
NotNickCarter Crossing the Line The Book Club 0
MoD_RSS News story: Fatal accident at Tibberton footpath crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Crossing The Gap - market exploration MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Collision with crossing gates at Penrhyn level crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Dartford Thurrock river crossing charging scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 26,000 share their views in Thames Crossing consultation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Alert for charities operating in Syria or Turkey about aid passing through the Bab Al-Hawa crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 55 years on, Dartford crossing looks to the future MoD News 0
M Origins of the term "crossing the bar"?! The Quarterdeck 21
scouse Crossing the Bar History 6
T HMS Westminster holds the age old Crossing the Line Ceremony The Fleet 11
soleil Montrose Review: "Montrose Crew Marks Equatorial Crossing" The Fleet 0
trelawney126 Crossing the Line German Fashion Diamond Lil's 0
Rumrat Crossing The Bar Nearest & Dearest 20
Bergen Crossing The Line Diamond Lil's 30
B A Renault Laguna, a 20 mile sea crossing and World Record Diamond Lil's 3
3yearstilltx Crossing the bar Site Issues 0
L crossing the line certificate and operation hurricane History 12
Y crossing thwe line The Quarterdeck 41
golden_rivet Crossing the bar History 7
Y RN crossing over. Anyone help? The Corps 16
F Can't get bank account due to marker. Is this a bar to entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Eurocopter EC135T1, corrosion-initiated fracture of a main rotor actuator tie bar MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Looking back at 125 years of the Bar Council MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Export bar placed on rare bronze sculpture by François Girardon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Export bar placed on Liss masterpiece MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Crossed the Bar The Quarterdeck 19
C Inhalers a bar to entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Export bar placed on unique 18th century work by Joseph Wright of Derby MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity that ran a bar turns around following statutory inquiry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Export Bar placed on Renaissance casket in a bid to keep it in UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 raises the bar on emissions standards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Annual Bar and Young Bar Conference 2018: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Professional Entry Scheme: Bar Council app to be tested at five new courts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Local courts and tribunals help to raise the bar on provision of refreshments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Advocate General for Northern Ireland, Geoffrey Cox QC MP called to the Bar MoD News 0