Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course

Dussack12

Hi all,

I've recently been looking into joining and the RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) role has caught my interest. I was hoping to ask a few questions and receive a few answers to gain some more insight. I have found some previous threads from several years ago which ask similar questions but would like more updated information.

1. While doing the 3 year cadetship is everything such as food, accommodation and education paid for? Or do we have to pay/contribute for these ourselves? Also, is accommodation shared or does it vary?

2. In regards to pay, on the recruitment page it states "A starting salary of more than £15,000 during training ". Is there any more information on this and does it increase over the 3 years? I've located an RFA pay scale from 2017 but cannot find anything 2019 onward. So any more information this would be appreciated.

3. If there anything you would advise in general to people who want to join?

Thanks in advance.

RFA at HMS Raleigh

Lantern Swinger
Hi all,

I've recently been looking into joining and the RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) role has caught my interest. I was hoping to ask a few questions and receive a few answers to gain some more insight. I have found some previous threads from several years ago which ask similar questions but would like more updated information.

1. While doing the 3 year cadetship is everything such as food, accommodation and education paid for? Or do we have to pay/contribute for these ourselves? Also, is accommodation shared or does it vary?

Accommodation/education is paid for. Accommodation is mixed, for exampl at BRNC is shared or individual, then at nautical college you can choose rentable accommodation so you could live by yourself. On ship you will be either single or double cabins depending on how many cadets there are.

2. In regards to pay, on the recruitment page it states "A starting salary of more than £15,000 during training ". Is there any more information on this and does it increase over the 3 years? I've located an RFA pay scale from 2017 but cannot find anything 2019 onward. So any more information this would be appreciated.

Base pay has an annual increment each year you are in going up roughly £1000 per year currently about £15,600 as starting pay. Pay increase backdated to July 2019 recently gone through, but have not seen the latest published table yet.3/O(X) qualifying pay will be about £35,500.

3. If there anything you would advise in general to people who want to join?

I will send you a PM and if want to chat can..

Thanks in advance.

NewCadet

Hi @RFA at HMS Raleigh that above post is really informative.

Could you clarify what you mean by accomodation/education is paid for? I assume the education part means all course fees and any travel to and from BRNC/colleges/ship is paid for.

However when at college do cadets pay for their accomodation out of their salary? I assumed that is the case however happy to be told otherwise! Are there any contributions that have to be made at BRNC too?

Thank you.

Could you clarify what you mean by accomodation/education is paid for? I assume the education part means all course fees and any travel to and from BRNC/colleges/ship is paid for.

However when at college do cadets pay for their accomodation out of their salary? I assumed that is the case however happy to be told otherwise! Are there any contributions that have to be made at BRNC too?

Thank you.
I second this, I am looking at the RFA myself and would be curious to know if accommodation (and food) is paid for in addition to the £15,000 p/a starting salary, or we have to pay out of pocket from the salary we are receiving. I am guessing it is paid for at BRNC (or highly subsidised) but is that the case at nautical college?

Random

Lantern Swinger
As a general principle if the RFA sends you on a training course (for a day or a year) they will cover accommodation costs. Dont expect them to pay for 5* luxury and they will occasionally direct you to use a certain source if you want them to pay (like military accommodation when training on a military base), but it should be adequate for the job.

AceRimmer

Thank you.
From the BRNC point of view, there are some contributions to be made, however these are fairly small and consist of contributions towards daily tea/coffee/biscuits, social and sports facilities and laundry if you don't do it yourself. It's all taken from source when you're paid and you receive a list of what is due.

By far and away the largest 'contribition' for myself and some others in our division was the bar bill (payable a month in arrears)...!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS New Information Campaign to Help Brits Prepare for EU Travel Changes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important information leaflets published for prisoners & families MoD News 0
G Technician (Weapon Engineering) Communications Information Systems Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS The IAGCI invites tenders to evaluate the UK Home Office Country Information Products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Exploring the barriers to information sharing for direct care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Information campaign to support UK nationals in Greece MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency appeals for information on abandoned trailers in Bromsgrove MoD News 0
BreechSpike Bridge fittings? Electronicy thingys? Any information on thease? Miscellaneous 6
BreechSpike Bridge fittings? Electronicy thingys? Any information on thease? Hobbies & The Great Indoors 1
MoD_RSS eAlert: 27 May 2020 - Additional Woodland Carbon Guarantee auction information MoD News 0
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
MoD_RSS Taiwan travel during coronavirus (COVID-19) - Information about available flights and routes MoD News 0
K Our search for information The Fleet Air Arm 15
MoD_RSS Overview of scientific information on coronavirus (COVID-19) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Information for Help to Buy: Equity Loan customers during Coronavirus (COVID-19) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Exchanging information during UK-US trade agreement negotiations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 3/2020: Council Tax information letter – 16 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint statement on safety of journalists and access to information during the COVID-19 crisis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important information for British nationals departing India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important Information Regarding COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government cracks down on spread of false coronavirus information online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Survey and Inspection information update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Ship Register Information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to the law in Northern Ireland: updated information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches Coronavirus Information Service on WhatsApp MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important information for British Nationals departing Argentina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19 Guidance: Information for NI Businesses & Employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Survey and inspection information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Seafarer coronavirus information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next stage of expanded coronavirus (COVID-19) public information campaign launches MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated media guidance will ensure easier access to court information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flybe: information for employees, passengers and suppliers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public information campaign focuses on handwashing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inspection report published: Inspection of Country of Origin Information, June 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus public information campaign launched across the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Information on Citizens' Rights MoD News 1
MoD_RSS 2/2020: Council Tax information letter – 24 January 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Council Tax information letter: 14 January 2020 MoD News 0
W Information re HM Submarines 1940-60 Social & Reunions 4
MoD_RSS Information Centre and filing services over the festive period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How to obtain further information on the Copyright Tribunal MoD News 0
L I'm trying to find information on my Great Grandfather. Nearest & Dearest 2
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints interim Chief Digital and Information Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from John Manzoni on the public information campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pledgemusic.com: information for customers and creditors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Better information for victims and greater transparency - Parole Board CEO Blog MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Information and outreach events for British citizens in Malta MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Information and events for British citizens in Norway MoD News 0