info required on marines chapel

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by gypsyjanet, Jun 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My brother was a marine , but sadly died in oslo in Jan 1989. I was unable to attend his funeral held at plymouth.
    I was devasted to realise later that his ashes were buried at sea and that I would never be able to pay my respects.
    I now understand that families can visit the marines chapel at stonehouse barracks where his name should be listed.
    Does any one know how I go about making a visit to this chapel... is it on the actual base and would I have to request a pass from someone?
    I would really like to go to where his ashes were scattered which i believe is at a place called plymouth Hoe. Can I do that?

2. His name will also be on the wall , at The National Memorial Arboretum. Alrewas Staffs. Well worth a visit.

3. plymouth hoe you can certainly visit, it's lovely this time of year too :)

4. Thanks for the replies to my post. I thought that his name might be at the National Memorial Arboretum so I will definetely be visiting that hopefully with my mother.
    I would still like to know if I can get to visit the chapel at Stonehouse barracks.

5. Janet why dont you put this request on the Sister site??Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE . Worth a punt :wink:

6. Janet

I am sorry to hear about your brother.

I would suggest that you get in touch with RM Stonehouse to check that his name is listed and to make your request. The chaplaincy would be a good place to start.

Here are the details you need.

Chaplaincy
    RM Stonehouse
    Durnford Street
    Plymouth
    Devon
    PL1 3QS

Telephone: 01752 836397

Do get in touch with them and let us know how you get on.

7. Thank you soleil, I will make a written request to them. .. Im sure that they would be able to help me in this situation .
    It would be so good to even visit the places that my brother served at.
    I rarely got to see my brother when he was alive as I was also serving in the WRAC at the same time. once again thankyou and I will get back on this site and let you know how I got on ,janet