Info on Intel branch - Army or RNR?

Just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's responses on this. I have followed the advice and looked into the Army Reserve Int. branch and it seems that not only can you apply direct to this branch (unlike the RNR) it seems to be a lot more established/better infrastructure and offer a more varied Int. work (Maybe it is just easier to find out information on this than RNR).

The Navy did appeal to me and but I wasn't expecting this outcome, so may have to reconsider and weigh things up.

Thanks again.

Just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's responses on this. I have followed the advice and looked into the Army Reserve Int. branch and it seems that not only can you apply direct to this branch (unlike the RNR) it seems to be a lot more established/better infrastructure and offer a more varied Int. work (Maybe it is just easier to find out information on this than RNR).

The Navy did appeal to me and but I wasn't expecting this outcome, so may have to reconsider and weigh things up.

Thanks again.

Ok, now p*ss of to ARRSE and give us Nelson back!

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

Keypusher

Midshipman
As a prospective RNR applicant Intel :grin: appeals to me as well. While it's not possible to apply directly to that branch through the RNR, but only after a few years in, I view this as an opportunity to do something else in the meantime, which broadens my possible experiences/training opportunities before considering applying to Int at some point down the road.

While speaking to an RAF bod about Int, he remarked that Int was extremely tri-service and that the army were the biggest players in that world right now, so they tend to run the show. But then, there is the drawdown... and we don't know what kind of intelligence we'll be needing in the next ten years. More of the same HUMINT-based stuff? Or will the emphasis shift back to spying on fellow first world nations using subs and spy planes (assuming the RAF can get a CAA air safety waiver for their "brand new" 1960s vintage refurbished Rivet Joints. Just 10 million miles on the clock).

The thing that struck me most when reading this thread was PT's remark about choosing the life you can see yourself in. If you can see yourself as army, then why not? For my part, I've always been quite interested in the navy and it's history. And black/dark blue suits me better than dirty brown/green.