Info on Deck Officer Cadet responsibilities

.Torch.

Midshipman
I appreciate what you're saying, however, bearing in mind that the period where the RFA wasn't taking on qualified Deck officers was just under three years- and it takes roughly three years to complete a cadetship- if you applied to a commercial company now, were taken on as a cadet and earned your qualifications, you would likely be able to join the RFA again as a 3/O at least a year before RFA cadets (especially seeing as, due to the fluctuations of industry, the post-Covid cruise sector will be in a much healthier place and therefore there are bound to be deckies leaving the RFA for greener pastures).

All I'm saying is that it may not be worth the (at least one year) wait on balance.

Or you could weigh up your options and join the dark side as an ETO with considerably better employment opportunities, lower wait times, a transferable skillset and day working routines...
Aye, that is true if both parties started their applications at the same time. My point was not to say it couldn't be done, just to highlight that the RFA is not always recruiting so it should not be taken as an absolute that the RFA will always have jobs available for Deck Officers.

ddraver

Ah well, got my REJECTED email today :(

Good luck to any Deck Cadets they take on!

(it occurs to me that I guess all the qualified Deck Officers who used to drive ferries and cruise ships may have all been applying about now too)

gooner

Ah well, got my REJECTED email today :(

Good luck to any Deck Cadets they take on!

(it occurs to me that I guess all the qualified Deck Officers who used to drive ferries and cruise ships may have all been applying about now too)
I’m in the same situation as you. Gutted to say the least but it’s not the end of the world!

Good luck in your future endeavours, whatever they may be.

ddraver

Well my plan is to try and speak to the recruitment advisor tomorrow and see what he says. I noticed that the applications for all Deck crew seemed to disappear a few months ago so I do wonder if they were flooded with people who have experience already..?!?

Or I'm just too old already :)

gooner

Well my plan is to try and speak to the recruitment advisor tomorrow and see what he says. I noticed that the applications for all Deck crew seemed to disappear a few months ago so I do wonder if they were flooded with people who have experience already..?!?

Or I'm just too old already :)
It’s possible they were inundated with applications. Let me know how your talk goes if possible. Cheers

Jago

Midshipman
I believe that the number of Cadetship positions is fixed and, as far as I'm aware, exclusive of the amount of lateral entry qualified deckies that are taken on at 3/O X levels and up.

So my advice would be, if you are really determined, ask for advice (as Draver is) and re-apply!

I know a few Cadets who initially failed before re-applying and getting the Cadetship. Age isn't a factor in the recruitment process whatsoever- there are plenty of 'older' cadets (I've even heard of one in his fifties).

Bluebird79

Lantern Swinger
Jago is correct - numbers for cadetships are entirely separate to numbers for qualified entrants so you're not 'competing' against those with tickets. They're two entirely different jobs. Don't be disheartened, ask for feedback and see if/when you can apply again.

Basic Question but if we're waiting for selection board, does that mean we've 'passed' the SIFT interview? It's difficult to tell when none of these things are actually happening/happening virtually...

Thanks all, I'm guessing we're waiting as there is no June intake.

Fingers crossed for us all!
Hi, I applied in February, have also been told to expect Selection Board in May as well. Not much info being given but after some reading it seems this is normal.

Best of luck!
hi lads, i got told the same thing. "selection board in may" i then received an email telling me i had passed my sift and a date for my virtual interview which happens to be tomorrow. hope this helps.

gooner

hi lads, i got told the same thing. "selection board in may" i then received an email telling me i had passed my sift and a date for my virtual interview which happens to be tomorrow. hope this helps.
Best of luck with that mate, hope it all goes well for you. I didn’t get lucky enough to get through my SIFT but it is what it is.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Best of luck with that mate, hope it all goes well for you. I didn’t get lucky enough to get through my SIFT but it is what it is.
If you want it, try again, the RFA is a little oversubscribed at the moment, always ask for feedback and if you think you can do better give it another go. Certainly no one will hold it against you for not getting through the first time.