Info on Acting paid rank in a different pay band

Discussion in 'UPO' started by cobat1, Jan 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, I don't have an RN/RM friendly UPO near me so heres a question for you....

Im in an acting paid rank filling a job which is a different branch to mine. My current job is a high band but my old branch which i am still officially part of is low band. I have done my new job for 2 1/2 years with a further 18 months to go till i TX. So its all about pension and gratuity now. I currently still get paid as per my old branch which is Low band. Should i be getting the pay for the job I'm doing? My Pongo Admin Officer tells me i only get paid as per my SQ!

Any ideas?
  2. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Pension on TX is unaffected by pay band or increment level.

Eg: A level 9 higher pay band CPO gets the same pension as a level 1 lower pay band CPO with the same reckonable service.
  3. I think the question was that he's acting rank in lower pay band for a job which is normally filled by someone in higher payband. He is wanting to get pay and pension based upon higher pay band for the rank he is acting as.

As you have said his pension will be based upon his highest paid (ie acting) rank as he's held it for >2yrs. Which he already appears to know.

The fact that he is lower pay band and the job is normally higher pay band is irrelevant. Pension is the same for that rank, acting or substantive, subject to achieving the qualifying 2yrs in last 5.
  4. cobat1 - have a look at JSP 754 Chap3 Sect 12 - Dual Career Employment Pay. It may apply in your case.
  5. Hi guys sorry for the confusion! Im happy with the pension side of things, my point was - Yes my branch i joined up on is in a low band branch, but now am doing a job in a high band branch as they don't have a suitably qualified individual for the job, i was offered the job and duly took it. Im told i can't get the high band pay as my SQ is different!

Thanks for your help, if my additional info above still draws you to the right conclusion can you tell me where i can get this in black and white so i can go back to my admin officer? (It doesn't help that he's ex RMP - he's never wrong!!!!)

Hope this gives a bit more clarification.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  6. Thanks for the info.

I looked at JSP 754 Chap 3 sect 12 and that all seems to be the position I'm in so I'm going to go back and ask him to have a look at that.
  7. If it is possible within the realms of what you are comfortable to reveal on here, could you elaborate on what job you are doing? I can add nothing to the thread that hasn't been said already, but I am fascinated by the idea of someone in one branch being able to do a job of a different branch at a rank higher. Just interested.
  8. Was in the RM Band for 15 years and have worked for the PT Branch since
  9. I was thinking on the lines of a legacy PO Mechanic in a CPO ET job therefore LACPO Mechanic.... just a random thought though, although I'm sure there's people who have been in that situation
  10. If you an AFPS 75 member your pension is determined by pension code for your rank. This means that it doesn't matter whether you are on the lower or higher pay band. As long as you have more than 1 year being paid in the higher, rank you will get something for the higher rank. Put in for your FAR briefing and we will explain.
  11. I'm still struggling with the words 'friendly' and 'UPO' in the same sentence.
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Cobat1 + SJRM_RN = a match made in Heaven..! :thumbleft:
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Did you play each other's blue veined piccolo..? :twisted: