info needed on basic training at HMS Raleight please

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by NJC, Oct 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. NJC

My partner has just gone off to HMS Raleight to start his basic training. It is a difficult time anyway but the fact I know nothing about it make it even more difficult.

How long does basic training last for? (the website say 8wks but my partner says it's 10 weeks.)
    Is there any time off scheduled into the training or is it 24/7 for the whole time?
    Will my partner be able to contact me regularly from HMS Raleigh or are they not allowed?

I'd be grateful for any info which can fill some of the gaps and hopefully make me feel a bit better about the whole thing.
  2. Welcome to Rum Ration, NJC.

It's 10 weeks.
  3. It's been 10 weeks for about a year. He'll be able to contact via phone most evenings, you don't get to see him untill the passing out parade.
  4. Hi NJC,

As everyone else relates, it's 10 weeks.

Phone calls are allowed, but only at certain times of the day. Sometimes they have a bit more opportunity over the weekend - depends on what they're doing.

You can write to him as well, that's fully allowed and he can at least have a bit more privacy when it comes to that.
  5. Hi NJC :)

As the others have said, it's 10 weeks. They can't leave base during that time (although if they behave themselves they should be allowed into Plymouth for an afternoon after they've passed their final kit muster) which sounds harsh but they'll be away for a lot longer on deployment so it's getting them (and us!) used to it.

My OH was at Raleigh from May to July so I've been where you are pretty recently. I got to speak to him most nights although sometimes it was only for a few minutes depending on how much ironing/polishing etc he had to do before bed. You'll probably find though that even those few minutes will help both of you. My OH was really homesick for the first few days so I had to be really good and not get upset when he rang but it's surprising how quickly you get into the routine.

Try and get down for his passing out parade if you can. It was well worth the 7 hour drive for me and I don't think I stopped grinning all day :)

Good luck to you and your OH - it does go a lot quicker than you think it will xxx
  6. Hi

Im new onto the forum, my boyfriend introduced me to this to help whilst hes away.
    He left on Sunday to go to raleigh and im struggling with missing him and hoping that it will get better.
    Any information about raleigh would be great.

Niki xx
  7. It won't, it will get worse. He's going to spend 9 months a year away at sea. Best you bin him and find a civvy instead.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hi, there is a tab at the top of the page .. Families, this takes you to rear party, you'll find lots of advice and support there.
    Good luck, you will soon get used to them being away, first few weeks are the worse.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. It's in Torpoint, Cornwall.
  10. I know this is addressing an old point, but someone mentioned not being allowed out during the 10 weeks. My mate's brother is in RAF basic at the moment, and he was allowed home weekend of week 5, and I think my brother when he joined the army was as well. Do RN trainees not get this?
  11. No ten characters.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. It depends when it is during the year. My boyfriend is at raleigh during may to july but if you went over xmas or easter then you get a break in the middle
  13. No....................