Info from ML/MAWC attendees please

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by coley8973, Jan 1, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I have been tasked by my Troop Commander to look into the viability of running a week long course in Norway with our Norwegian counterparts for some cadets.

The week would be (very) loosely based on the MAWC and obviously scaled down for kids, albeit physically fit kids, and would include intro to skiing, snowshoeing, Cam & Con, F&M Drills, Arctic Survival etc etc. my questions to you guys are the following:

How did you travel from you UK base to your destinations?
    What equipment/clothing was issued to you by Coy/Regt?
    What equipment/clothing was issued to you by JATC for the duration of the course?
    Does anyone know what happened to the facilities or know who is now using the old camp in the Voss region of Norway?

This isn't a far fetched as it sound as we already have Norwegian Cadets onside and everyone is giving it the thumbs up (So far)?

This is purely a fact finding exercise at the moment and your experience would help determine which path or who we would be approaching for assistance?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd be inclined to have a chat with the ML section at CTC when they get back off leave next week. They're a helpful bunch as I've pestered them in the past on behalf of potential recruits with their sights set high, pun intended.

3. My suggestion to you is to contact the ML Trg Sect at CTCRM. They will have much more up to date info on that area. They may well be able to provide advice of Standing Instructions and how they could be used to effect planning. I apologise if you have experience of it but Norway in the winter can be quite nasty. You need to be aware that even trained men with several winters could still fall victim to cold weather injuries. I'm sure your normal planning will cover everything but please consider how your cadet organisation does risk assessment, insurance, do you have the required instructors with current winter quals, etc. If the JTAC is still there much of this will of course be taken care of. Good luck.

IMD (10 winters, 4 Rjukans, and 4 Teamwork, still don't speak a word of Fish-head!!)

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Not being rude but the Cadets are basically a youth training organisation, a youth club with a military flavour. I'd like to see the insurance quote for doing a mini winter with Cadets. Best of luck with that one.

• Like Like x 2