Info for potential Mine Clearance Divers (MCD)

Renavon

Midshipman
Great thread Rob, most of its pretty spot on. Any more pics?Chris

There were loads on the powerpoint, i'm trying to find some of the ones that were on there, but no luck so far...

(EDIT) Found a few extra pictures that weren't the ones i was looking for but still relevant, which are on the original post now ^^

Last edited:

Billy0716

I was hoping Frogman or anyone else for that matter could help me with an issue that I can't find much information on. I'm currently within the application stage of becoming a MCD having just passed my first medical.

I've seen a lot of questions within these forums focusing on the medical part of the PEDA however not so much on the dental checks which brings me to my question; A few years back i had my two front teeth chipped and consequently had to have them filed down and caps glued on, is this likely to bar me from entry into the diving branch? (They are permanent caps if that helps)

Also, thanks very much for this post Renavon and good luck with your application, hopefully see you in training!!

I'd appreciate any insight that anyone could give me, thanks.

Billy - Although I am not a dentist, your crowns shouldn't pose a problem. The main oral hazard is any loose filling which might allow breathing gas to penetrate the cavity underneath it when at depth. When returning to the surface, such a filling could reseat and trap any gas within the cavity at high pressure. The filling then becomes like the stopper in a bottle of champagne with potentially nasty consequences.

Renavon

Midshipman
I would imagine they would only pose a problem if they cause pain under pressure, such as out low depths. Or as naval_gazer said, if they come loose they could cause some damage.

Billy0716

Ok, thanks. Renavon - where did you get your information in regards to waiting times for this position? I was told that there wasn't a waiting list when I first applied (around June this year) which is obviously quite a contradiction to your proposed 3 years.

Renavon

Midshipman
Ok, thanks. Renavon - where did you get your information in regards to waiting times for this position? I was told that there wasn't a waiting list when I first applied (around June this year) which is obviously quite a contradiction to your proposed 3 years.

I was told by my first AFCO that there was currently a 3 year waiting time, but then again if yours told you differently there might not be. PEDAs and training messages keep coming up regularly boasting about short wait times, so hopefully your right ^^