Inflation busting pay rise?

Re: BREAKING NEWS...Armed Forces to get at least 9.2% pay rise

I see the nurses are whingeing allready. They can have a big rise when they are fighting al queerda.

Stripey_G

War Hero

Good news for all the serving guys (and gals), and quite right....but...er....
any news about the Pensions going up???? Ouch! :oops:

Re: BREAKING NEWS...Armed Forces to get at least 9.2% pay ri

Actually it's 3.3 % for the majority of us (have a copy of the signal next to the keyboard), QUOTE "the most junior ranks will receive a pay increase of around 9 per cent" UNQUOTE - if thats the bulk of the poor bastards currently getting shot at, then great - they deserve it.

chieftiff

War Hero
I knew there would be some spin on this :evil:

The headline looks good on the MOD site, however all they have done is increase the new entrant rate of pay from its outrageously low level and increase the lowest rates in the lowest pay band.............. Why the f*ck has everything got to be spun out to sound better than it is.

I actually thought the young lads and lasses out on ops were going to get what they deserved at least a shelf stackers wage. The press release and Des's spin have actually made me even more pi**ed off with these clowns than I was before, if that were ever possible :evil:

jonah

Pay rise my A*se, junior rates getting 9.2%!!! Can't really complain but whats the point of being a senior rate if you only get 3.3%, shows what they think were worth.

ianbeale

Midshipman
Jonah

I am an average OM. The sort who loafs around all day in the mess -has to be told everything to do. Its not that I cant think for myself, I am quite clever, but why should I. It the senior rates job to do all the running around and take all the stress. if you need me ill be in my rack on my psp dreaming of what to do with all that extra cash. Do I want to be a senior rate. not before and certainly not now. 22 year fleet OM thats me and happy with it.

IB

2badge_mango

War Hero

Stripey_G said:
Good news for all the serving guys (and gals), and quite right....but...er....
any news about the Pensions going up???? Ouch! :oops:
Usually tied to same increase as State pension Stripey, in which case it will be 3.6%.

2BM

danny

War Hero
so im a jr just passed out of collingood been in more than 6 months how bigger pay rise do i get?

A very good rise and well deserved, but experience from past government (in particular Labour) approved rises meant significant deductions in other areas, like accom and uniform costs.
And there is a minor thing about an election next year....so is this a cynical ploy to attract the service vote

2 Pay bands, higher and lower.
We've got quite a few older killicks onboard (M.E Dept) who are on the highest level of killick (9 I think) pay and we have 2 relatively "new" PO stewards in the mess getting less money than them. We also have a new POMEM(L) getting less pay than them. Where is the incentive to go Senior Rate for those killicks? How do you think those PO's feel getting less money than a killick? I think it stinks, and this pay rise will make things worse in my opinion.

War Hero
Figured it would be something like that, but I don't have pay tables to hand ;)

I'm not convinced that it's a valid comparison in the first instance, since a killick MEM isn't going to be advanced to PO Std.

I appreciate the point about LMEM to POMEM, but to an extent after 9 years are they particularly interested anyway, never mind the money?

I can't recall offhand, is LH to PO 100% selection yet?

fwiw I'm no great fan of how P2000 was implemented, it was far too biased towards an Army way of thinking, where having lots of people made your job more valuable in pay terms. I worked on a couple of reviews and the cases we put forward got so dumbed down so that the rewiewing board could appreciate what we did I lost all confidence in their ability to reach a reasonable conclusion.

I think the comparison IS valid from a purely rate-wise point of view, but I take your point. As for the LMEM/POMEM thing, I would guess that a killick of 9 years probably isn't that bothered about getting his rate, but I still think that there should be a pay gap between L/H and PO across ALL branches.

Oh, and yes, AFAIK LH to PO is by selection ;)

Piran

Midshipman
Right I thought this was good. But if you do a quick bit of maths.

Lvl 1 AB, Marine, Soldier, SAC gets a 9.2% pay increase.
Lvl 2 AB, Marine, Soldier, SAC gets a 6.2% pay increase.
Lvl 3 and above gets 3.3%

I didn't look at new entrants

Now in my part of ship there isn't many people who are on lvl 1 or 2, so this amazing pay rise, only effects the guys and girls that have just joined, and are still not jaded. Not the ones who have had enough and will vote with their feet.

The 3.3% is still welcome, but still not quite good enough when you look at what we are being asked to do. I'm afraid the headlines will tout the 9.2% & 6.2% as amazing, but it affects only the lowest pay scales out of the 30 odd in the other ranks structure.
Call me cynical, but this just looks like a nice coat of paint to make it look nice.

slim

War Hero
Lamri said:
2 Pay bands, higher and lower.
We've got quite a few older killicks onboard (M.E Dept) who are on the highest level of killick (9 I think) pay and we have 2 relatively "new" PO stewards in the mess getting less money than them. We also have a new POMEM(L) getting less pay than them. Where is the incentive to go Senior Rate for those killicks? How do you think those PO's feel getting less money than a killick? I think it stinks, and this pay rise will make things worse in my opinion.
I reckon the killick stoker deserves more money than a PO steward :smile:
What are the ages of the PO stewards?
The Killlick stokers would probably love to get their POs rate but how many PO stokers (as a percentage of the branch) are rated annually to PO stewards?
What is the average serving life of stewards? In my time many stewards left after their 9 years because they didn't enjoy the branch. Many more stokers stayed for the duration and completed 22.

Latest Threads