Ineos negotiations

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by FAAFLYNAVY, Oct 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the total climbdown of the Unite union at Grangemouth is this the way forward for all the large employers in the UK when dealing with unions? are the unions now a busted flush?
  2. I think this is the new reality of working for companies owned by massive multinationals. The workers don't have power anymore cos the companies can and will just shut the place down if they don't get their way.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  3. FFS who runs and controls the business, no the workers do not control the companies . Get back in line and behave.
  4. Unite have proved themselves to be totally out of touch with the modern world. The workers trusted them to try and save jobs and all the union bods could think of is the bad old days. Not to worry though they still have the big houses and gold plated pension. This is the 21st century not the UK in the mid 70s.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't gloat too much. Unions do a lot of good work for their members. Where it goes wrong is where you get union leaders who think that they are in charge and both their members and management should dance to their tune. As seen at Ineos, these people are dangerous and need to be cut out. They are usually found where the local union members don't have a secret vote so the workforce can be manipulated and intimidated. Also, in my short time as a union member, all important meetings were held at times and places inconvenient to the majority of members so matters were going through having been voted on by the 'coterie' of insiders.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. You are right on this one.
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Sadly the lessons doled out by Scargill still haven't been learnt
  8. Unions have there own agenda's and if they can use any work related matter as a spring board to voice there own opinions they will.

The days of Scargill are over and they would dearly love to have them back but successive governments have neutered them.

RIP Unions. Lie down and die gracefully.
  9. Both Unison and Unite are well past their sell by dates.
    When a company is loosing money is not the time to go in with all guns blazing. I do hope that the unions have learned a lesson from this episode but I doubt it.
    Time for the government to get just as tough with civil servants and teachers, the taxpayer should not have to fund pensions for others when most workers have had to accept changes in conditions.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Returned my Unite card. A dairy is way cheaper in WH Smiths!!!!!!
  11. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Dairy? They are diversifying these days.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Thats what you get asking a man to multi-task!!! D I A R Y

GP qualifying - baking and talking bollox on the PC!!!!!
  13. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bored of Vettel now

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. listened to yer man Salmond being interviewed on the wireless yesterday. I was so bloody annoyed! he impressed me. The standard BBC confrontational interviewer tried to get him to apportion blame and use inflamatory words like "climb-down". He didn't and kept it very businesslike and grown-up.

It looks like this public arm wrestling contest will have long term repurcussions, though; Colossal bet on Grangemouth goes sour for Ineos boss - Telegraph

15. I'm sure a wily politician like Mr Salmond knows better than to offend unions and/or employers.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I think the lessons have been well learned by management! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. A well run successful business should involve the workforce representatives sitting round the table with management, we could learn much from the Germans where that is concerned.
  18. It was ever thus.
  19. Should that go for Naval pensions as well?
  20. I think it's more a matter of British owners/management learning from the Germans.