ineligible to apply due to ventolin prescription for chest infection

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Sarah Jane, Feb 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have read a lot of the historical threads on this but cannot find a similar circumstance and am looking for advice.

My son wants to apply for the navy, however about 18m ago he was prescribes a ventolin when he had a chest infection/ was taking a while to recover from a cough. He used it for a few days then the novelty wore off (he was 14) and that was that.

he does not have asthma,

the careers office will not take his application because he has had a ventolin i the past 4 years. He was told he can appeal but that it is very unlikely that it will make a difference.

This means he is looking at deferring his application by 2 and a half years, I want to check if it is really as black and white as this, as it is just on the say so of one person at the careers office as for all I know it may be something that a medical person would to find an issue.

Is this worth pursuing? Would an appeal by letter and a letter from his doctor explaining be read by a medical person, or just dismissed anyway?

I understand these questions are asked all the time, I would be grateful for any advice.
    Thank you

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Normally its 4 years after the inhaler. However Ninja Stoker, Angry Doc or Nemises are the best people to advise you and no doubt one of them will be along at some time

3. i esd told the same and ended up got to my medical to fail by 1% that was in August 2012 i was told to wait four years myself

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The rules are that the individual needs to be 4 years clear of asthma signs, symptoms and asthma treatment.

If your son has a previous history of asthma and was more recently prescribed an inhaler then an appeal would be unlikely to have credibility. If there is no history of asthma and you can prove, with qualified medical evidence, that he was wrongly prescribed an inhaler for a condition that did not have any signs or symptoms of asthma, then an appeal may be worth it, but if it costs you money to get the tests undertaken to produce the qualified evidence in support of the claim, it's at your expense, win or lose.

Good luck.

5. Thanks ninja , he has never had athsma, just this one prescription for an inhaler , not necessarily given in error, but just to treat the chest infection, never any mention of athsma.

6. This might not be as bad as it sounds. Having a little bit of life experience isn't always the worst thing in the world. I know plenty of people who joined straight from school or college and never had any experience of the 'real' world. They tend to have this crazy idea of it being really easy to have a proper job. Whereas people who were employed prior to joining tend to know its not all sunshine outside.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Evening, Ninja is right, 4 years is the marker. The only case I can recall that was successful on appeal was from when it could be proven that the inhaler had not been collected from the pharmacy. No other case has been accepted by the RN (or RAF for that matter). Personally, I wouldn't waste you money. Sorry.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

8. Thanks for the advice, I am still a little confused,

The guidance notes say:
    http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/29bd98646fca41a890a772a59df08d1a-0x0.pdf

Asthma wheeze or asthma symptoms or treatment in the past four years.

He does not and has never has asthma

At the top of the guidance notes it says: Please note that Careers advisors and staff are not medically trained and that all final decisions regarding medical suitability for entry are only made by appropriately appointed medical staff.

So he can honestly tick the box saying none of the medical problems apply as he does not have, has never been treated for, and has never had symptoms of asthma.

But he is unable to as the careers advisor says no, even though on the form it says the decision lies with the medical staff.

How can you get the decision from the medical staff if you are prevented from applying?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There are certain conditions such as this and ACL reconstruction, to name but two, which a careers adviser may wish to manage realistic expectations rather than raise false hopes and waste taxpayers money. You, or rather your son, is totally within their rights to insist on submitting an application regardless of the advice offered.

Trouble is that many adopt the "I've got nothing to lose" line & clog up the application process for others. Ultimately, it's your son's decision but he must declare he has been prescribed an inhaler or he could find himself barred from applying when eligible for making a fraudulent application. It's appreciated it may not be the advice you wish to hear but again, you may wish to take-up the advice offered by PM yesterday.

Either way, good luck.

10. I understand the confusion regarding the statements of 'Asthma' etc, but when the guidance notes were created the phrases used in the standards they relate to have to be used. Basically, the prescription for the Ventolin inhaler given and used is indicating your son's GP felt he needed it, especially with the cough you decribed.

This means he can't honestly tick the box indicating none of the problems apply. If he did make that declaration he would be creating a problem for himself by not being truthful. The AFCO staff have been correct in their assertion of the outcome of a medical, saving everyones time etc.

I don't mean to be a doomer, but personnel who haven't declared past symptoms such as these, have cost lives, their own and others, when they get sick in remote places during combat operations.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app