India Company Operation Herrick 5

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by mescullyman, Mar 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. India Company Royal Marine Commandos
    India Company has for the last six months been writing itself into the Royal Marine History books. Who is India Coy I here you ask (especially all you ex Royals out there who will probably never of heard of it). India Company was a composite company made up from Recce Troop 45 Commando, Air Defence Troop and Motor Transport Troop From the United Kingdom Landing Force Command Support Group (UKLF CSG). This Unit to all you old crust ex Booties was the former HQ & Signals Squadron and is still based at Stone house Barracks in Plymouth. We were thrown together about six weeks before deploying to Afghanistan on Operation Herrick 5 with the sole purpose of providing Protection to the Provincial Reconstruction Team in Lashkar Gah. This was going to be a tedious and long deployment, or so we thought.
    For a company that had had very little time to gel before deploying I can now say it work well and hard. The range of tasks thrown at us was wide and varied. From doing guard and providing the Quick Reaction Force for the Main operating Base to war fighting in Garmsir and the company proved it was worthy of these taskings. The Patrolling in Lashkar Gah itself provided Lots of intelligence and enabled the Engineers to carry on with the task that the British forces deployed to do in the first place Reconstruction of the Province. The development and the attitude of the local people became the bench mark for the other towns in the province. This became known as the India company effect by the whole of the Brigade and as far away as PJHQ and Whitehall, No mean feat. We did have our set backs the suicide threat was ever present and on the 19 October the Second Suicide bomb since being here was detonated. It claimed the first Royal Marine victim of Herrick 5. Marine Gaz Wright from India Company was killed and Sgt Gaz Ellis was seriously wounded. The effect on the company was devastating but the work had to carry on. Day after day the patrols went out putting our men in the line of fire and against a threat that is almost impossible to defend against.
    The opportunity for the Company to go to Garmsir and take part in the war fighting operations against the Taliban there was greatly welcomed by the guys. Now I know to some this may seem a strange statement, but we are trained to fight and you can’t fight suicide bombers because you don’t know who they are. Garmsir was different it was the front line with a real enemy who could be seen and engaged and more importantly killed. The tasks were wide and varied from helping the police man the check points to Fighting Patrols, Deliberate Attacks, Ambushes, and Recce Patrols behind enemy lines. And all this from a group of men who had not worked together until six weeks before deploying. The Company has become an efficient and effective machine and every man in the company deserves the credit for the hard work and determination they have shown.
    Unfortunately India Company will be disbanded at the end of Herrick 5. So post this as apiece of history and to remember the men of India Company who fought hard Showed professionalism and determination worked selflessly and remained cheerful under adversity. All in all these men proved that the Commando spirit is not dead. I am proud to have been part of this.
    So as the Company leaves Afghanistan never to reform, I ask you to raise a glass to the Men of India Company and to take a moment to think of our fallen comrade Marine Gary Wright.
    The OC Major JulesWilson used these words from Theodor Roosevelt on our final parade.

Man in the Arena (23 Apr 1910)
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
  2. As a mere ex matelot from a forgotten war that never was, (Oh never mind) I'll salute you Royal, somewhat higher than the standards that we expect from the best Marine Corps in the World - the Royal Marine, EYE Company and beyond!!
  3. Heres a Toast to all the Troops of India Company RM!

Come back safe,you hear!
  4. RIP Royal Marine Gary Wright.

Well done India Coy, we are proud of you!

And to all of you WALTS who have frequented this site recently-TAKE NOTE-this is the real deal.
  5. I posted this once before Scully - hope you don't mind:

Do not stand at my grave and weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
    I am not there, I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn’s rain.

When you awaken in the morning’s hush,
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in clircled flight.
    I am the stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,
    I am not there I did not die.

6. Mes,

You know we all think about you guys up there, out front, doing what you do best. BZ India Coy come back safe and in one piece guys.
    My thoughts and prayers for those who have fallen and thier loved ones.
  7. :grin: I will certainly raise a glass or two to India Co and for their fallen and to that Royal I saw recently in a newspaper, in the kneeling position, on the radio and with a fixed bayonet attached to his weapon and about to go into action - Thats what Royal does best .................. Good luck India Co. :shock:
  8. Well done, India coy. Royal has a proud history of quickly putting coys and cdos together for particular purposes e.g 41cdo in Korea and J coy down south. Once again, hats off to India coy!
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

well done scully, india coy and the rest of the booties out in afganistan, I will certainly raise my glass to you my friend.

If I ever bump into anyone from india coy there's a 100 notes behind the bar. come back safe mate, and all your oppos.
  10. I hope our little postings go a small way to let you know that there are people back home, not just your family and immediate friends, who worry about you and care that you will come home safely.
  11. BZ India Coy. Makes one very proud to read that post.
  12. Well said Scully!!
  13. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I'm off to the pub and will raise my glass to India Coy.
  14. Well done the Royals, the best in the business!
  15. Good on you Mes regards to the boys!
  16. I missed this thread the first time around. All i know is that India Coy did a fantastic job both from what is written here, and by speaking to Mes on a personal level. Fair play once again Royal Marines and condolences to those who didnt make it back.
  17. Raise only a glass ??

Well Done to all you make us proud and its a shame that certain elements in society will never know, understand or care about you exploits, your loss and the hardships you have all been through.

God Speed and condolances on the loss of your fallen comrade in arms
  18. Here here yet again.

19. My respects to all in India Company , my respects in fact to all in theatre , god speed your safe return , I salute you's all ,
  20. Heard last night that Scully is decompressing in Cyprus and will be home very shortly.