Independent: "Revealed - How Ministry Of Defence Penny-Pinching Led To Disaster"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Oct 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Tell me this is not so? The Magnificent RAF Regt defended the place with honours all round, Is the story they tell of a secure environment and a robust defense just that, a story?

2. and

Further proof that blame always starts at the bottom of our food chain. The poor buggers at the pointy end are going to have one hell of a job to prove that the blame lies firmly somewhere above them.

3. I remember one of those BBC 3 Afghanistan programmes where they were looking at Bastion and showing an RAF Regiment platoon (are they called platoons?) preparing to go on patrol just outside the wire.

They were doing a quick kit inspection "Prove water bottles, prove doss bag etc." making sure everyone had all their shit in one sock.

Then the classic quote from one of the steely blue killers: "Anyone seen my rifle?"

100% gen dit and shown on TV.

4. That was called 'Warzone' and later had its name changed to something more sensible.

I was on that, didn't lose my rifle though.

5. I honestly used to think the RAF Regiment baiting was just banter and a bit of inter service rivalry, I mean surely they can't be that bad right?

Then I saw that and was frankly amazed. Losing your rifle is week one day one shit. To do it when film crews are around is frankly comical.

To be fair we had an RAF Regiment FAC attached to us on a big international ex we did a few years back in France and he was pretty decent at his job, if a little chubby.

6. A rare diamond among the turd, FAC course will have knocked the tardiness out of him.

7. Isn't it amazing? A fundamental weakness at the top of the MoD that soaks down to some poor buggers being slotted, combined with the instant Government and MoD reaction to nail the unfortunates tasked with making do with what they have and what happens? A prime opportunity is seized to take the piss out of the Rock Apes. I suspect that the RAF Provost Marshal will be in the official arse kicking line as well.

If MoD (Centre), the Treasury and the Cabinet Office read this stuff, they must be chuffed to nuts.

8. The Times says:

"The Ministry of Defence (MoD) will consider the findings of a US review claiming British forces should have strengthened security at Camp Bastion.

Two US Marines and 16 soldiers were killed or injured in a Taleban attack in September 2012.

The US review released this week looked into the actions of American personnel but also examined security at the camp, which British forces were responsible for at the time.

In a statement from the review published in the Independent today, US Major-General Gregg Sturdevant said he did not realise until after the attack that “there were unmanned towers out there… The Brits were embarrassed.”

He said: “It was unfortunate, and it was not a pretty story. Doe (sic) the tower to be unmanned with the terrain out there, I questioned that.”

The US took responsibility for security after the attack.

Continuing his statement Maj-Gen Sturdevant said: “I told them that we were no longer willing to accept not being in charge of overall security. The attack definitely changed the environment. They knew that they had screwed up.”

An MoD spokesman said: “Following the attack on Camp Bastion in December 2012 the UK has contributed fully to a number of Isaf, US and UK reviews. As a result, force protection measures at Camp Bastion have been reviewed and are appropriate to current threat levels.

“As stated in the US review, a concertina wire, a ditch, berm obstacle and a 30ft high boundary chain link fence were in place around Camp Bastion at the time of the attack.

“The US review further states that a separate internal perimeter fence would likely not have presented any serious challenge, barrier or impediment to the enemy on the day of the attack.

“The insurgents were repelled by US Marines and Royal Air Force Regiment personnel whose courageous actions prevented greater loss of life and equipment.

“While the US review was intended to examine US actions only and not those of coalition forces, the UK will consider its findings in detail to confirm our earlier assessment that no further UK action is required.”

Maj-Gen Sturdevant was forced into retirement last month after General James Amos concluded he and another general should be held to account for failing to secure the base from attack."

MoD to consider US Camp Bastion findings | The Times

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

[​IMG]

10. Isn't a significant point of this cluster f**k that we never bought the sodding wire?

OK, a wire fence will never stop anyone who's sufficiently determined, it just makes life more difficult for them.