Independent: "Protesters Chain Themselves To Faslane Gate In Nuclear Missiles Protest

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Apr 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would like to see then go and chain themselves to a nuclear facility in North Korea!! See how long they last there and how long they dissappear for :)Im all for free speech but at this moment in time, it is far more likely that another country will fire first rather than us.I have to agree slightly that nuclear weapons are a bad thing but they have kept the Global peace for over 60 years.A balanced debate on the subject would be better rather than causing disruption to the general populous of that area as more often than not when they protest, the main road from Garelochhead to Helensburgh gets shut.
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Leave them chained and ativate a sprinkler system, protest wouldn't last long.
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...or, like me, having driven across from Rosyth to Neptune for a hearing test (in the days when I played with kit that went "Ping!") and - rather than get in the car and come straight back - I chose to go to the NAAFI. Just as the QRF was crashed out. So I was confined to the base until it we got the standdown. About three hours later... :oops:
  4. sgtpepperband

I was a TAS Ape long before I was Fashion Police... :wink:
  5. With respect, because they disagree with you, should they just shut up then?

6. With respect, I am a Helensburgh native born and bred as well as a submariner. These parasites from the camp were given 'rights' by the then council that locals could only dream about - one of which was the parking of caravans on grass. Then there was the free bus provided to take them into town to get their benefits. They also disrupt the only road in the area, causing problems for all the olk who just want to do their aily business.

And yes, I do agree with the nuclear deterent, so yes, these clowns have not done their homework.

PS Sorry, I didn't realise there was already a thread running. Mods feel free to add this one to it! TUVM!
  7. In the eighties I ran over their dog. Didn't kill it so took it and a couple of the campers to the vet. Had a bit of mumbling from them as I had 'Polaris for Peace signs stuck to my van. A couple of days later the vet rang me and asked if I would pay for the treatment as the campers wouldn't pay. Said 'B******s' or something like that. Took me days to get the smell from the van and it wasn't the dog...
  8. My wife Lesley a Veteran of Greenham Common and Molesworth. She could teach Booties survival , having slept in bin liners and later a converted Luton van. Whilst at Keel Uni. her mail was tampered with and her home telephone made strange noises. She still has nothing but contempt for the then T. S.G.And says that the service men who pissed through the fence had pathetic tiny dicks.
  9. We invaded Iraq using weapons that cause damage. It was in some of the newspapers. We also have a long history of selling weaponry to people who use it on their own population in and about the middle East. I expect you missed it.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  10. Weapons that don't cause damage arn't that much use, in the grand scheme of things.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Luckily for them they are in a country that believes in the right to free speech and that is what it should be free and not at the tax payers’ expense, first we give them benefits and privileges to stay there and then we have to pay to clean up the mess and damage their protest cause, then if arrested and imprisoned they have the right to a nice clean cell at the tax payer’s expense?
  12. sgtpepperband

Your tax or employment status does not dictate what rights you are entitled to, nor where and when you can use them. That's down a little-known quirk of this country, called "statutory law".

13. Statute Law
    A statute is an Act of Parliament. After legislation has been proposed it begins life as a bill, passes various readings in both the House of Commons and the House of Lords before receiving Royal Assent and becoming law.
    As with cases, acts can be found in both printed and electronic form. The most important thing to ascertain is that you have the most up-to-date version as acts are constantly being amended and/or repealed
    So they are protected but my bold above, if Scotland get independence? How long before the rules get changed, when the Scotts start looking at way to save cash, also if they get independence then they say Faslav will be non-nuclear, so they would have to de-camp to somewhere where the local government has not given them un-usual rights. As The courts have to abide by statutes but can interpret in different ways.
    So yes they have a right to protest and freedom of speech the same as I have the right to call them a bunch of trouble making, social scrounging Oxygen thieves
  14. sgtpepperband

Nobody is denying you that right, Sumo. Just that from your previous, you implied that their social status (in comparison to yours) should prevent them from exercising theirs.

(Nice bit of Google-cation there. I had no idea what Statute Law mean. Thanks.) :roll:
  15. Lucky?? That was, historically, won by protest in various form, beginning with Magna Carta, and progressing through The Levelers into the Enlightenment and the mass protests of the Industrial Revolution.

Freedom of Speech was never won by luck, nor was it freely given.

Free speech along with other democratic entitlements have been hard won in Britain as elsewhere.

Dr. John Roberts

Occasional Essays | Speakers Corner Trust

For the record, I believe that if it wasn't for the nuclear deterrent, none of us would be here now, after the Cuban Crisis.

But I also believe in the right to protest even if I don't agree with the protesters. I also believe in the humane treatment of everybody, protesters, serving personnel and civilians, even pongos, but especially elderly ex-Tiffies.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I think you've misread Sumo's post there Drifter. He's saying the people were lucky to be born in this country, not that free speech was some kind of "lucky" event.
  17. Point remains valid though . . . ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. That’s OK as an ex crusher I would not of expected any better from you, luckily for you I studied a bit of law in the past so can just about spot the difference between Statute law, Civil law, Criminal Law, Common Law, Contract and Commercial law etc. many more and with lots of subsets, but no guarantees I know anything? An ex-company I worked for thought it would be a good idea to send us off to the smoke to study Contract and Commercial law in a short course format, thus the first thing was to try to identify different types of law what a sodding minefield no wonder the legal industry makes so much money out of the rest of us? Use the legally qualified or Google the modern man’s solicitor, one may start of cheap.:read2: