Independent: "Discovery Of U-Boat Wrecks Rewrites History"

Discussion in 'History' started by soleil, Jul 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Independent: "Discovery Of U-Boat Wrecks Rewrites Histor

Soleil - Thank you for drawing attention to this article.

Scouse - Thank you for your link which I had read some time ago. It's surprising that Dr Niestlé's report (written 14 February 2004 and amended 17 October 2006 and 11 May 2007) has only just been picked up by our national press.

2. Re: Independent: "Discovery Of U-Boat Wrecks Rewrites Histor

Try to get a copy of 'Iron Coffins' by Herbert Werner. ISBN 0 304 35330 2. Very good account of the Uboat war from the other side.

3. Re: Independent: "Discovery Of U-Boat Wrecks Rewrites Histor

Read it, and i must say it is the best book i have ever read about UBoats, the pen, he writes in, you feel like you are in the Sub when he crash dives and is depthcharged, also another quiet good one is No Ordinary War the story of U604 by Christian Prag isbn 978 1 84832 022 2

4. Re: Independent: "Discovery Of U-Boat Wrecks Rewrites Histor

Have you read 'Hirschfeld The secret diary of a U Boat'?

5. Re: Independent: "Discovery Of U-Boat Wrecks Rewrites Histor

Nope.... but will check it out :wink:

6. Re: Independent: "Discovery Of U-Boat Wrecks Rewrites Histor

The mined U-boats were lost as follows:

U-325 in minefield HW A1
    U-1021 in minefield HW A3
    U-400 in minefield HY A1

The British laid a total of 10,043 mines in 'deep trap' minefields in the Western Approaches in 1944/5. The Mk XVII was a general purpose moored mine containing a charge weight of 320 lbs or 500 lbs of explosive. It was suitable for laying in depths down to 500 fathoms on a Mk XVII sinker and could be fitted with switch horns for use as a contact mine or with a variety of acoustic sensors for use as an influence mine. The number '39' refers to the fitting of hydrostatic safety switches, eliminating the necessity for skimming sweeps to check there were no 'active' mines shallow enough to hazard surface ships.

7. Re: Independent: "Discovery Of U-Boat Wrecks Rewrites Histor

This is a good site for U-boat info. The interrogation reports of captured u-boat men make interesting reading as do some of the u-boat signals. Check out the Sept 1939 signals to boats being placed off the UK coast a couple of days before we declared war.

http://www.uboatarchive.net/

8. Re: Independent: "Discovery Of U-Boat Wrecks Rewrites Histor

WQell worth the effort it's an excellent book

9. Re: Independent: "Discovery Of U-Boat Wrecks Rewrites Histor

Thanks for the tip Sarking. Werners book does make interesting reading. I found it very strange that he didnt attend U-Boot school until after 2 operational trips. The Germans are usually very thorough in their training, before they let people loose, especially of officers.

10. Re: Independent: "Discovery Of U-Boat Wrecks Rewrites Histor

If anyone ever has the chance, the U-boot Archiv in Cuxhaven is well worth visiting - the curator Horst Bredow is an absolute gem of information; he's well into his 80s now, yet was still answering hundreds of queries every month.

Iron Coffins is by far and away the best U-boat memoir in English; it's a shame not more German accounts have been translated (Das Boot, though a good read, isn't necessarily accurate...). Karl-Friedrich Merten's memoirs, Nach Kompass, are outstanding. Sadly, nur in Deutsch. :(