Increased cancer risk - AGAIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by broadside, Dec 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can't they just drop this continual plethora of bad news health stories for a few weeks?

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx?cp-documentid=12251532

This time it is related to even moderate booze intake.

"Drinking just one pint of beer a day increases the risk of liver and bowel cancer by a fifth, a health expert has warned.
    A large glass of wine or a couple of spirits such as vodka or gin can have the same damaging effect, she said.
    Dr Rachel Thompson, science programme manager for World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF), warned that just two units of alcohol a day increases the risk of bowel cancer by 18% and the risk of liver cancer by a fifth".

I don't know about you but these so-called "health experts" are getting right on my threepennies.

On the plus side, although I do have a daily intake of 2 cans (sometimes 3 if I really feel like pushing the boat out) it is only Carlsberg or whatever other horrible muck is on offer so I should be OK! :thumright:

PS - What happened to the other recent story that said a glass of red wine a day was GOOD for you????? Make your bloody minds up!

2. If you listened to every single self-styled "expert" that is out there you'd never leave the cave you'd moved to. For a slightly alternative view on drinking and smoking (and even red meat), get treat yourself to a copy of Sleeper :)

3. As a bit of an aside, I looked at the link and noted the following at the bottom of the page

"People Viewing This Page May Also Be Interested In These Sponsored Links
    Crude Oil Trading
    www.AvaFX.com/Oil/ * No Commissions, Fast Execution 100:1 Leverage, $200 Bonus, 24/7"

Why the fcuk would someone wanting to look at details of a Woody Allen comedy be interested in Crude Oil Trading?????

People reading this thread may also be interested in angora wool knitting patterns!

4. Must be you mate, I get adverts about films [​IMG]

5. Sorry, my mistake - not bottom of page, halfway down the page next to "External Links" on the left hand side of the page and sandwiched between Cast and Additional Details - still there so can't be just me!!!!

6. I don't hear my liver complaining about my vodka intake yet, so I'm not worried.

7. Yep, it is just you..... your browser allows ads, which based on your history, browsing or whatever else the java app running in the background can gather from you, targets you for certain ads ("sponsored links"). Since I'm browsing with Firefox using flashblock, I only see the IMDB page when I view the link. But don't worry, you're not the only one who gets mindless irrelevant ads, most webpages are shot full of 'em, and if you have to let java run unbridled so you can play a game, use a shopping cart etc you might see google ads relating to the utter filth you have been looking at.......(who me...)

Anyway, as for the WCRF, Harley street doctors? I dont think they are "self styled experts" since as a registered charity in the UK they have far too stringent standards to meet on both the clinical and financial side. I dont think they can be taking money from some group with an axe to grind, since if it were Scottish and Newcastle breweries surely they would advise you to "get pissed, keep bum cancer at bay"....
    I think the correlation between wine drinking and heart health still stands, I read an article on a few months ago touting that white wine offered as much benefit as red, but there may also be an increase in cancer risk. I read a different report to Dr Thompsons in regard to women suffering particularly increased cancer risk from alcohol.

Since the studies are usually data mined from 30 odd years of medical records, it takes some time for a PhD student to be funded to analyze such stuff, and longer for it to be peer reviewed into a state that makes any reading worthwhile, but I think the WCRF is trying to raise awareness of the general risk posed. Their recommendations seem to be commonsense and balanced;

http://www.wcrf-uk.org/research_science/recommendations.lasso

8. skinflicks from the fatherland...?

9. This must be "new" research. I've been through the mill since 2003 with bowel cancer. Two operations, removal of rectum, temporary ileostomy, six months chemotherapy, countless investigative procedures, and I've now passed my five year point and am pronounced "clear".
    I've asked all the professionals with whom I've been involved during this period how and why I developed a 6 centimetre tumour, and their answer was invariably "It's just the luck of the draw".
    I tend to take this kind of advice with a pinch of salt (but not too big a pinch, it's not good for the blood pressure!)

2BM

10. It never will "complain" it will just give up. Then its too late to do anything about it. Unless you're George Best, of course..!

11. 2BM, its not new studies but the correlation of some 22000 (numbers on their website), selected from 70000, distilled down to statistics, from which they make some fairly basic recommendations. Of course some people drink like Bestie and dont develop cancers, then others sniff the barmaids apron and end up looking like John Merrick shot through with metastatic tumours, and the rest are somewhere between. All they use the stats for is to estimate the likelihood, since the maths gives you the basis to do so. For instance they recommend women breastfeed for up to a year since it reduces their risk of breast cancer, the figure I saw was 5%, is that a worthwhile reduction? who can say. Sleep deprivation causes all kinds of problems and we all walk round like zombies cause we don't have the time or make the time for proper kip.

Hope you are well and continue to be so, enjoy a tot with your polyphenols, blueberries, pomegranate and green tea :thumright:

12. Thanks SC. I might just do that.
    My post was intended to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, (hence the closing sentence), but my younger son has a Doctorate in Molecular Biology, so I know at first hand how intense these people can be!

Thank you for your good wishes, and may I wish a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you and yours.

2BM

13. Splicers mate, I got me flags out and everything. Good job no bugger else round 'ere can read them.

It was duly noted. I did however forego the obvious link from tongue in cheek to colorectal polyps.... :pukel:

Does he like his rattle? (Mother, I'm the Minister for overseas development...) Python refs apart, he doesn't happen to be at the NIMR does he? I guess you must get good advice on how these Jr. Doctors dont know bugger all and think they are god...(or Shiva/Allah, ethnicity dependent). Usually the consultant knows what hes up to but catching him at work is an art in itself.

Thanks fella.
    Weds toast> Ourselves (as no one else is likely to concern themselves with our welfare).

14. Most drinkers would discuss the matter further, over a drink, and decide to wait for a more pro-drink report

15. Less than a £1 a pint!!! My round then.....

16. Cat.....yeah it's only Greene King IPA but what the hell, it's a pint :thumright: