Income tax while in theatre

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Typical Brown condecension - the bastard.

2. Merchant seamen do not pay tax when at sea, even if their employer is British. I'm sure most of you already know that we, however, do pay tax when at sea.

The introduction of the extra payment for deploying to certain theatres was supposed to address the fact that the Yanks (and others) do not pay income tax whilst deployed, but our lads do. It was a penny-pinching way of boosting the pay of the poorly-paid whilst hardly having any effect on those of us unfortunate enough to have to pay tax at the higher rate.
  3. I think you will find if you read this article that merchant seaman do pay as states in the article
  4. But relative to the cost of living, they were on a par if not above par.
  5. I worked in the tobacco industry for 12 years. For the first three years of my employment I paid income tax but then claimed it back using the same rules as for merchant seamen. I had to be out of the country for a certain time in any tax year, if I remember it was about 40 weeks. While in the UK I was not allowed to work, I was allowed to attend training courses. Any sickness while int the UK was not counted as time being in the UK.
    Many of the engineers working for the company employed Seatax to do their tax returns.
  6. lesbyan I think you will find that "Joe Crow"is right about seaman's tax.When I was working at sea on DSV,s two years ago. To qualify for seaman's tax the revenue requires you to have two foreign port calls per year 183 days per year out of the UK,the vessel you claimed from must have it's own propulsion system IE meet the inland revenue's description of a ship"something wiff a sharp end and a blunt end that moves under it's own steam.
    The deal is you pay your tax up front and claim it back at the end of your financial year.If you are working in Norwegian,Danish or other sectors you pay their tax and no claim back.I am unaware that the tax law regarding seaman has changed in the past 2 years,but will stand corrected if it has.
    It may be unfair that merchant seamen do not pay UK tax and others do but that life in a blue suit.
  7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I was under the impression that the new operational bonus, seperate to LSSA, was designed to be the equivalent to the amount of tax paid by a private, or equivalent over 6 months.......
  8. I think that something more important than income tax rebate is pay and conditions. Any member of HM forces who is eligible for active service (stand fast the old and bold men) should be paid at least the same rate as a police constable.
    I know which job is the more dangerous, and lets face it the average plod on the beat is not highly trained. :p
  9. Another tax issue for those just under the high tax band is the LSA which is taxable. In 2001 I found myself in the position of owing the tax man a huge sum of money. I was in receipt of LSSA high rate, as was, we deployed on Saif Seria, thence Afghanistan kicked off and the trip was extended. The extended period on LSSA took me into the higher tax bracket (owed tax) and when you are in the 40% band you have a reduced Child Tax Credit allowance (owed more tax). I became aware of this 2 years later when I was fined for not having paid said owed tax! :?

10. I think these typt of actions by the taxman are out of order it was not intentional or fraud it was caused by service deployment needs and so (in my mind )should be waived
  11. The rules are basic:

If you spend 6 months out of the UK then you get your years tax back at the end to enjoy on your leave.

The RFA get it as does the NAAFI man on board brit ships.

We don't get it as they say that the ship is a little piece of Britain (*********) so what about the can man?